Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio Man's widow wants exotic animals returned to her

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 2:29 PM
  • 21 Replies

Remember the guy in Ohio who released all those exotic animals and then killed himself?  Then later the Sheriff's department killed over 4 dozen animals--the pictures were horrific! The 6 remaining animals are in quarantine at the Columbus Zoo to evaluate their health.  The widow of the owner has filed paperwork to regain ownership of the animals she refers to as her children. 

The Ohio Governor and Legislature stepped in at the last minute and prevented her from taking the animals home, but she has 30 days to refile her petition.

What do you think?  Should she get the animals back that she legally owns?

by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Well, if she "owns" them maybe. The government shouldn't keep your property but OTOH, this property happens to be living creatures.

Can she prove she can and will provide a good home for them?

How about her own sanity, can she prove she is sane because calling animals your children so isn't a good sign.  Like I said, I'm just not sure.

PEEK05
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 2:34 PM

No

CoeyG
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 3:59 PM

If they are her's legally she should get them back.  If it were me I'd also sue the city for killing the others...they didn't have to.

Kymmy28
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Major Hell NO. She should have seen what was going with her dh and called the cops sooner and then none of the animal would have been killed.

CoeyG
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Well, if she "owns" them maybe. The government shouldn't keep your property but OTOH, this property happens to be living creatures.

Can she prove she can and will provide a good home for them?

How about her own sanity, can she prove she is sane because calling animals your children so isn't a good sign.  Like I said, I'm just not sure.

These are my children...

This is my grand daughter

If you don't like it that's your problem not mine

srcsticwitch1
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 4:21 PM

UMMMM I think that is a big fat NO! they were released in the public to harm ppl, next she will want to file a lawsuit for the ones that were killed. If she cared so much where was she when this was happening??? SMH

CoeyG
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Quoting srcsticwitch1:

UMMMM I think that is a big fat NO! they were released in the public to harm ppl, next she will want to file a lawsuit for the ones that were killed. If she cared so much where was she when this was happening??? SMH

They were relased in the public period.  Unless you were there and are privy to his motives you don't know why he released them.   He could have done so as a metaphor for releasing himself from whatever pain it was he was feeling.  They are her animals legally she should have what is left of them back.  And again she should sue the city for killing the ones that didn't need to be killed to begin with.

LivinDeadGurl
So tired of this migraine!
Yesterday at 3:17 PM
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 5:06 PM

If she legally owns them, yes, she should get them back.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2011 at 5:17 PM

I love my pets but they are animals not children. They have the needs of whatever breed they are. By treating an animal as a child, people tend to not see to the animals actual needs which typically is bad for the animals health. I'm not trying to fight with anyone who does this but it's not healthy mentally either IMO.

CoeyG
by on Oct. 28, 2011 at 5:17 PM

The reason they are not being released to the widow has nothing to do with the animals release, it has to do with the conditions they were living in. 

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/10/ohio-zoo-animals-will-not-be-released-to-owner/

It is nice when the entire story is given...and again she should sue for the lives of the ones that were killed without needing to be. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)