• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone visited Ireland? (piog)

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:18 PM
  • 14 Replies

Or maybe is from there?

My husband and I are planning a trip for next year, but we are not sure what to do. Do we just pick one city and see all it has to offer (if so, which one is best)? Do we do a tour? Should we visit 2-3 places? Is it better to book through an agency or do it all on my own? What is a MUST see/do?

Thank you for any suggestions! 

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Nope never been but if I were going to go the must see place for me would be the Shannon River...my daughter was named after it.

LivinDeadGurl
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Nope. I have always wanted to go though.

mhmomma
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM
Nope I wish
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HTMommy
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 8:36 AM
My parents did a few years ago. First question. Are the kids going with you? That will determine what you do I would think.
Are you guys drinkers? They still talk about the pubs and food. They did Dublin and lots of pubs and a few castles. They went with a tour group ABC tours I think it was. They did however go with a group of mostly friends and only a few strangers. Bc it was a tour group, it was cheaper than going solo bc there was group ratings so I highly suggest doing this. My advice would be look up online Ireland tourism or "things to see" make a checklist of everything you want to do. Find a money exchanger and figure out how much you'll need and extra for inflation. Also groups don't usually have 24/7 itineraries some do, but most have a day or 2 or half days of free time to do what you want to do without the group. Good luck have fun and take lots of pictures.
(Word of advice, there's a castle with a bell they tell people to kiss for good luck, don't kis it, the locals piss on it and love making jokes of the tourists (to be completely honest though I don't remember if it was Ireland or England though but pretty sure it was Ireland))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Number1Chef
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 8:40 AM
Quoting mhmomma:

Nope I wish
juliX4
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:03 AM
I went many years ago. Dublin was nice but to me just another big city. We also stayed in Kilarney (sp). We did do some castle tours and kissed the Blarney Stone ( I would recommend that). IMO Ireland's best assets are the history, the scenery and most importantly the people. Take advantage of those and the pubs! I'm not a drinker but that was amazing to just sit in the pubs and chat with the people
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:07 AM

No kids. It is just a trip for us.

And the castle is in Ireland. And we will definitely not be kissing the stone! You are not the first person to warn about avoiding it. And it was actually pretty high on the "overrated tourist traps", LOL!

Quoting HTMommy:

My parents did a few years ago. First question. Are the kids going with you? That will determine what you do I would think.
Are you guys drinkers? They still talk about the pubs and food. They did Dublin and lots of pubs and a few castles. They went with a tour group ABC tours I think it was. They did however go with a group of mostly friends and only a few strangers. Bc it was a tour group, it was cheaper than going solo bc there was group ratings so I highly suggest doing this. My advice would be look up online Ireland tourism or "things to see" make a checklist of everything you want to do. Find a money exchanger and figure out how much you'll need and extra for inflation. Also groups don't usually have 24/7 itineraries some do, but most have a day or 2 or half days of free time to do what you want to do without the group. Good luck have fun and take lots of pictures.
(Word of advice, there's a castle with a bell they tell people to kiss for good luck, don't kis it, the locals piss on it and love making jokes of the tourists (to be completely honest though I don't remember if it was Ireland or England though but pretty sure it was Ireland))

brittneyfaith
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:09 AM

not yet, next summer my husband and I are going to hitchike/backpack through the UK, France, Spain and Italy!  Sorry I can't be much help!

KelliansMom
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:14 AM

my mil and fil are going next april on a fully planned out trip ..and im so jealous lol i want to go so bad i can taste it 

HTMommy
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:14 AM
Hahahah yea! Its gross! My parents brought back some nice wool sweaters and like I said still talk about the food and beer. The guiness they will not drink here anymore bc it tastes like sh*t to them after having the real stuff for a week lol they enjoyed themselves immensely

Quoting usmclife58:

No kids. It is just a trip for us.

And the castle is in Ireland. And we will definitely not be kissing the stone! You are not the first person to warn about avoiding it. And it was actually pretty high on the "overrated tourist traps", LOL!

Quoting HTMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)