Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Do you agree with the Girl Scout Cookie boycott?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM
  • 56 Replies

I saw this in The Stir - What are your thoughts about it?

Girl Scout Cookie Boycotters Make Me Want More Cookies

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on January 26, 2012 

There are certain things that are just sacrosanct in this country and to me, my box of Girl Scout Cookies is one of them. I don't care if they have trans fats (they don't anymore, by the way) or if they destroy my diet, I love them all the same. And, if their sales numbers are to be believed, a number of others agree with me. The past few years, however, have not been kind to my favorite cookies.

First it was the foodies who came after he cookies. They changed their recipes. Now is the Right Wing. If they are to be believed, the proceeds from that box of Girl Scout cookies goes to a liberal agenda. They have "partnered" with Planned Parenthood on teaching sex education. When asked about the partner ship, the former CEO Kathy Cloninger, said:

We have relationships with our church communities, with YWCAs, and with Planned Parenthood organizations across the country, to bring information-based sex education programs to girls.

The horror! Well guess what, the more I hear about the "problems" with Girl Scout cookies, the more boxes I want to buy. And even though the organization now denies that relationship, it makes me want to support them more, not less.

Last fall, a Colorado troop accepted a transgendered 7-year-old. At the time, they said that the Girl Scouts is:

An inclusive organization and we accept all girls in kindergarten through 12th grade as members. If a child identifies as a girl and the child’s family presents her as a girl, Girl Scouts of Colorado welcomes her as a Girl Scout.

Amen. That is the kind of organization I can get behind.

The more "truth posters" from the Right circulate around Facebook, the more I want to support the organization. If the Girl Scouts promote open dialogue, talking about birth control and bodies and being inclusive, then sign me up. Those are the values I want my children to have.

The Girl Scouts may feel the need to protect themselves and put language on their website explicitly denying a "partnership" with Planned Parenthood -- "No, Girl Scouts of the USA does not have a relationship or partnership with Planned Parenthood." -- and they are openly neutral on the issue of abortion. So why the hate?

It seems any time a group is all women, someone starts accusing them of supporting nefarious causes or promoting a liberal agenda. The Girl Scouts provide young girls with self-esteem, leadership and confidence. Certainly there are many people, especially on the Right, who don't like uppity women.

Well, guess what. For every conservative who shared this photo bashing the Scouts on Facebook, I saw four more liberals share it and vow to buy more cookies. Take that! Don't mess with bull, Girl Scout Cookie haters. You will get the horns.

Do you agree with the cookie boycott?

by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjp2707
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I was in girl scouts and everything I learned about periods was in my girl scout book. My mom told me nothing I was so afraid she would catch me reading it. I think a open dialogue is wonderful. We tell our children age appropriate truths
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom22tumblebugs
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Interesting. It certainly is not in the girl scout guides anymore.

I support buying the overpriced cookies b/c I know the troops are the ones counting on the $0.30-60 cent proceed of each box in order to fun their local troop activities and community service projects.

Quoting mjp2707:

I was in girl scouts and everything I learned about periods was in my girl scout book. My mom told me nothing I was so afraid she would catch me reading it. I think a open dialogue is wonderful. We tell our children age appropriate truths

mjp2707
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Well this has been a lot of years ago lol. I remember that book to this day. It was thick like a workbook and it had all the badges and ways to be a successful girl. Lol

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

I support buying the overpriced cookies b/c I know the troops are the ones counting on the $0.30-60 cent proceed of each box in order to fun their local troop activities and community service projects.

Quoting mjp2707:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charli627
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM
I don't buy them cause we don't have the money. But I don't agree with the boycott
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
december911
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM
3 moms liked this

How could I ever boycott samoas?

terpmama
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM
I support 3 groups at this point (my neighbor, my friends daughter and a co workers daughter)... I'm in Colorado too and I think there was a facebook group about supporting the inclusive troop but I haven't heard much more than that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fireflyfields
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Back in 1995 I actually was not hired by the Girl Scouts because I had participated in a project for school with Planned Parenthood.  The lady in charge of the office I interviewed in told me that she felt that I would encourage the girls to go to Planned Parenthood behind their parents back.  The school project was mandatory, I was randomly given the assignment.  The assignment was to help Planned Parenthood with a PR campaign for College aged women.  I was in shock when I was told I would no longer be a candidate because of this.

nerdymom28
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I mostly just buy them because they're f*cking delicious. I look forward to them all year...and if part of the proceeds go towards the liberal agenda - I like them even more!! I just ordered 9 boxes yesterday..we freeze them and enjoy them for a few months, my daughter is nuts about them too!

CoeyG
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't agree with any boycott.  I will purchase what I want when I want, it's my money and I get to determine how it is spent.  Especially if it's crap posted on the Stir.  

HTMommy
by on Jan. 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM

It was still in there in the late 80's and early 90's when I was a Brownie/GS I was only ever a Brownie but somehow I managed to get the book and it was in there.

Quoting mjp2707:

Well this has been a lot of years ago lol. I remember that book to this day. It was thick like a workbook and it had all the badges and ways to be a successful girl. Lol

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Quoting mjp2707:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN