Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working, breastfeeding moms - Does this make you angry?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM
  • 11 Replies

I saw this in The Stir - Does it make you angry?  What are your thoughts?

Working Breastfeeding Moms Should Not Be Blamed for Taking Jobs Away

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on February 8, 2012 

There isn't much as enraging as a man who has a strong opinion on breastfeeding moms. But when that man is the CEO of a major company that likely employs thousands of women throughout the US, then it's even more discouraging. Tom Stemberg, the co-founder of Staples, has come down against breastfeeding moms, accusing Democrats (and President Obama, in particular) of wanting to force every company to provide “lactation chambers.”

Because apparently providing a safe space for a working breastfeeding mom to pump or nurse her baby is obscenely expensive and costs productivity. Good move, Stemberg. I feel for his female employees.

In case you were worried, you shouldn't be, really. After all, Stemberg’s wife breastfed. Now, isn't that comforting? He said:

Do you want [farming retailer] Tractor Supply to open stores or would you rather they take their capital and do what Obamacare and its 2,700 pages dictates -- which is to open a lactation chamber at every single store that they have?

Why is taking care of existing employees such a hard thing for Stemberg to believe? The fact is, Stemberg is complaining about the Affordable Care Act, which is part of the health care overhaul. In it, employers are required to give lactating mothers “reasonable break time” to nurse their child. They are also required to provide a space, other than a bathroom. Is that really such an obscene thing to request?

Personally, as a breastfeeding mom who is excessively modest (to a fault), I would have been thrilled during the four years I breastfed to have a single private space in which to do so (other than at Babies R’ Us). It's the way babies are fed. Get with the program Stemberg.

As long as men like him exist, women will continue to have to fight for comfortable working situations that allow them to be both mothers and employees. Not every mom wants to stay home with her children. And not every mom can afford to do so. So really, with CEOs like this, they basically have to decide NOT to breastfeed unless they're willing to do so while sitting on the toilet. It's unconscionable.

If Stemberg can’t get with the program and realize that times are changing and the status quo has made it very hard for working moms to keep up, then he needs to step aside. There is simply no excuse for such ignorance.

HIS wife breastfed because she had the luxury of his income to support them. NOT all women have such comforts. Stemberg’s condemnation of these efforts proves he has no sense of what it means to be a working mom or a mom who is forced to choose between her career and her children. And why should he? He never had to make such choices. And neither has his wife.

The women who DO have to make such choices deserve better. They deserve employers who recognize the hard choices they make and don’t force them or their children to further sacrifice.

Does this anger you?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louzannalady
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

That makes me very sad. And I'm a SAHM. But, I really into breastfeeding advocacy. 

TheJerseyGirl
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Women should have a place to breastfeed or pump...not everyone wants to do it out in the open for the world to see..

Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Yes-VERY angry.

I was blessed and able to pump without an issue at work.

Women should not have to hope to be "blessed" in order to pump for their child.
CoeyG
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Frankly I don't think a woman should breastfeed her baby at work, out in the open.  There should be a place for it, not everyone in the workplace wants to be a part of it whether you're an advocate or not.  The work place is just that WORK PLACE.  Not Nursery.  I have worked for quite a few companies that had "quiet rooms" for mothers who do breast feed or pump, they also have onsite day care centers for their employees, but neither the breastfeeding/pumping nor the children are allowed where the actual work is going on.  

alphamom26
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I think if smokers can have 15 smoking breaks a day, a breastfeeing mom should be able to pump. And just like a smoker has an appropriate place to smoke (outside!), a breastfeeding mom needs an appropriate place to pump. Bathrooms are gross, I don't care how often they are cleaned, and what is she supposed to do, stand by the sink with her pump on the counter while being glared at by people hip checking her to the side so they can wash the feces and pee off their hands? Unless a company has a certain amount of employees who are pumping ( lets just say 10-15 moms ), they don't really need a whole room designated to just pumping (though it would be nice!). A closed conference room or a cleaned utility closet with a small chair changed around to accomodate pumping would both be fine.

Why do employers complain about a woman having to go a few rooms away to pump for 10-15 minutes a half dozen times a day to provide her child with food, and they have no problem with employees going outside 10 times a day to gab and give each other and everyone walking by lung cancer?

CoeyG
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Quoting alphamom26:

I think if smokers can have 15 smoking breaks a day, a breastfeeing mom should be able to pump. And just like a smoker has an appropriate place to smoke (outside!), a breastfeeding mom needs an appropriate place to pump. Bathrooms are gross, I don't care how often they are cleaned, and what is she supposed to do, stand by the sink with her pump on the counter while being glared at by people hip checking her to the side so they can wash the feces and pee off their hands? Unless a company has a certain amount of employees who are pumping ( lets just say 10-15 moms ), they don't really need a whole room designated to just pumping (though it would be nice!). A closed conference room or a cleaned utility closet with a small chair changed around to accomodate pumping would both be fine.

Why do employers complain about a woman having to go a few rooms away to pump for 10-15 minutes a half dozen times a day to provide her child with food, and they have no problem with employees going outside 10 times a day to gab and give each other and everyone walking by lung cancer?

I have never worked for a company that allowed smokers "15 breaks a day" They went on the scheduled breaks everyone else was held to (those are required by law), I have even worked in places that did not allow smoking anywhere on the company grounds, smokers had to go across the street to light up.  The required by law breaks are 15 minutes after the beginning of shift and 15 between lunch and end of shift.  Lunch has to be by law at least a half hour long.  If a company allows people to have breaks more than that then that is between the company and their employees.  But I have never worked for such company

alphamom26
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I worked for a family owned business that allowed their employees a lot of freedoms, and one of those was that if they had five minutes or so after completing a job (and no other work needed immediately) they were allowed to take a break to smoke. Several of the employees would take between 10 and 20 such breaks a day. Just because you have never worked for such a company doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Btw, this was NOT about smoking, I was using that as an example. But obviously you are a smoker and took offense at the example. 

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting alphamom26:

I have never worked for a company that allowed smokers "15 breaks a day" They went on the scheduled breaks everyone else was held to (those are required by law), I have even worked in places that did not allow smoking anywhere on the company grounds, smokers had to go across the street to light up.  The required by law breaks are 15 minutes after the beginning of shift and 15 between lunch and end of shift.  Lunch has to be by law at least a half hour long.  If a company allows people to have breaks more than that then that is between the company and their employees.  But I have never worked for such company

CoeyG
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Quoting alphamom26:

I worked for a family owned business that allowed their employees a lot of freedoms, and one of those was that if they had five minutes or so after completing a job (and no other work needed immediately) they were allowed to take a break to smoke. Several of the employees would take between 10 and 20 such breaks a day. Just because you have never worked for such a company doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Btw, this was NOT about smoking, I was using that as an example. But obviously you are a smoker and took offense at the example. 

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting alphamom26:

Nope I am not a smoker.  Haven't smoked in 27 years.  But I have worked for large companies and have worked in Human Resources for some.  I know the laws regarding breaks and lunches.  I am fully aware that this isn't about smoking...I'm really not a total moron sweetheart.  I was not really going off your example, I was informing you of what the laws regarding breaks, whether for smoking, shitting, pissing, running around the block or breastfeeding are.  Employers are required by law to give all employees two fifteen minute breaks and at least a half hour for lunch.  I don't care who you worked for...that has nothing to do with me.  If that employer chose to give their employhees more breaks take it up with that employer.  

CoeyG
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Quoting alphamom26:

Way to be a total, condescending bitch. I am not your "sweetheart". And if you haven't smoked in 27 years, then you are a FORMER smoker, which means you have BEEN a smoker.

I am well aware of the laws regarding breaks in the workplace, having been a worker for 12 years before relocating and crummy job market left me a SAHM ( that is, I worked from the age of 16 to 28, steadily and without EVER taking unemployment or PA between jobs). I don't care who you worked for either, "sweetheart". I also did not have a problem with my former coworkers having breaks. If they wanted to destroy their own lungs, more power to 'em.

This entire post was about BREASTFEEDING  and a mother having the right to take a few minutes every so often to pump. I used smoking breaks as an EXAMPLE, as anyone with ANY reading comprehension would know.

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting alphamom26:

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting alphamom26:

Nope I am not a smoker.  Haven't smoked in 27 years.  But I have worked for large companies and have worked in Human Resources for some.  I know the laws regarding breaks and lunches.  I am fully aware that this isn't about smoking...I'm really not a total moron sweetheart.  I was not really going off your example, I was informing you of what the laws regarding breaks, whether for smoking, shitting, pissing, running around the block or breastfeeding are.  Employers are required by law to give allemployees two fifteen minute breaks and at least a half hour for lunch.  I don't care who you worked for...that has nothing to do with me.  If that employer chose to give their employhees more breaks take it up with that employer.  

I am aware what this post is about...you were the one who brought up the subject of smoking in the first place sweetheart, so get angry with yourself for using that as an example.  And I never said I wasn't a former smoker, I simply said I hadn't smoked in 27 years.  And when I smoked I was given two 15 minute breaks and one half hour lunch.  I wasn't allowed to take 15 breaks during the day because I smoked and I had to smoke outside.  So you problem sweetheart would be what?  

alphamom26
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 4:41 PM

You are obviously the one with the problem. As the only adult in this situation, I decline to continue coversation with you. Now have a lovely fucking day.

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting alphamom26:

Way to be a total, condescending bitch. I am not your "sweetheart". And if you haven't smoked in 27 years, then you are a FORMER smoker, which means you have BEEN a smoker.

I am well aware of the laws regarding breaks in the workplace, having been a worker for 12 years before relocating and crummy job market left me a SAHM ( that is, I worked from the age of 16 to 28, steadily and without EVER taking unemployment or PA between jobs). I don't care who you worked for either, "sweetheart". I also did not have a problem with my former coworkers having breaks. If they wanted to destroy their own lungs, more power to 'em.

This entire post was about BREASTFEEDING  and a mother having the right to take a few minutes every so often to pump. I used smoking breaks as an EXAMPLE, as anyone with ANY reading comprehension would know.

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting alphamom26:

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting alphamom26:

Nope I am not a smoker.  Haven't smoked in 27 years.  But I have worked for large companies and have worked in Human Resources for some.  I know the laws regarding breaks and lunches.  I am fully aware that this isn't about smoking...I'm really not a total moron sweetheart.  I was not really going off your example, I was informing you of what the laws regarding breaks, whether for smoking, shitting, pissing, running around the block or breastfeeding are.  Employers are required by law to give allemployees two fifteen minute breaks and at least a half hour for lunch.  I don't care who you worked for...that has nothing to do with me.  If that employer chose to give their employhees more breaks take it up with that employer.  

I am aware what this post is about...you were the one who brought up the subject of smoking in the first place sweetheart, so get angry with yourself for using that as an example.  And I never said I wasn't a former smoker, I simply said I hadn't smoked in 27 years.  And when I smoked I was given two 15 minute breaks and one half hour lunch.  I wasn't allowed to take 15 breaks during the day because I smoked and I had to smoke outside.  So you problem sweetheart would be what?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)