Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

An Uplifting Autism Story – Watch it Now

Posted by   + Show Post

The Jorgl Family - Our Special Life

Sydnee is the mom of twin 11-year-old boys Jake and Ian, one of whom has been diagnosed with autism. On the first episode of Our Special Life, we see what life is like for the Jorgl family, as they work with Ian's teachers at The Brooklyn Autism Center to help him develop.

CafeMom Studios is Motherhood as we see it. We feature authentic voices, compelling stories, and topics moms care about. Subscribe now to CafeMom Studios so you never miss an episode! 

Do you know a child with autism who is struggling or succeeding in school?

Share your thoughts in the replies below.

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
mommy2angel
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I loved this video! Thanks for sharing :)

NearSeattleMom
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 2:17 PM

What a remarkable school and an amazing mom!

TheJerseyGirl
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

As many of you know, my youngest son is autistic. I cried as soon as the video started and this is typical of how much this gets to me. Ian is much different in his disability than my D, but that one diagnosis unites them. It makes me feel so connected to Sydnee  in that, I deal with the same struggles, worries and day to day hardships that come with raising autistic children, but the love in your heart for them is such a blessing that you cant imagine your life without them.

She is so right that having an autistic child and dealing with autism makes you a better person...it turns the most heartless into the most compassionate and the most ungrateful into the most grateful, no matter what side of it you are on. It let me see to never take things in life for granted, because someone's "normal" will never be that for me or my child. I still have huge hopes and dreams for him, but we take one step at a time...sometimes several back...but I am climbing this mountain of life with him and will be with him every step of the way.

His days are uncertain and they fill me with worry. The stress can overtake you at times that all you can do is cry. On the outside you are strong and are ready to face anyone when it comes to your child's happiness and well being, but on the inside you are sad for them and worry....you just want their hardships to stop and become easy like normal kids their age. All I know is that I thank God for all the blessings in my life and I count D as the biggest blessing of all.

Hugs to Ian and Sydnee! You are a great inspiration to me!

Myspace Comments       autism bright colors heart picture and wallpaper

bamababe1975
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Wow, that was really something. I do know an autistic child and he is doing wonderfully well in school thanks to the patience of a really loving teacher. :)

carolina_gal
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Autism seems to be affecting so many families these days. I'm trying to educate myself more so I can continue to be tolerate and understanding. Thanks for a great story.

Cafe AmyS
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I've heard that a lot (that the parents somehow always knew).  Do you think it's common that the parents know or suspect even without the child having been diagnosed?

Quoting Shelley927:

Both of my boys have Aspbergers Syndrome ....I found out with my 17 yo when he was 10 and my 15 yo within the last month but felt like I always knew.......They boy are wonderful kids and have a lot to offer but this world is crazy and I am sure for them difficult to live in...

Cafe AmyS
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM

My cousin is also a SPED teacher.  She's told me that she feels that everyone, diagnosed with autism or not, has some sort of autistic symptom.  Do you agree?

Quoting 4CraigsMommy4:

TFS the video. My husband and I are both special ed teachers and work with children with a wide variety of disabilities. A lot of the kids we work are autistic. Our 4 1/2 year old son, Craig, was diagnosed with austism and epilespey at 12 months. My husband and I work with Craig just like how we work with our students.

Cafe AmyS
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 3:57 PM

youre welcome

Quoting mommy2angel:

I loved this video! Thanks for sharing :)

Cafe AmyS
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 3:57 PM

So true!  Thanks Michele!

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

As many of you know, my youngest son is autistic. I cried as soon as the video started and this is typical of how much this gets to me. Ian is much different in his disability than my D, but that one diagnosis unites them. It makes me feel so connected to Sydnee  in that, I deal with the same struggles, worries and day to day hardships that come with raising autistic children, but the love in your heart for them is such a blessing that you cant imagine your life without them.

She is so right that having an autistic child and dealing with autism makes you a better person...it turns the most heartless into the most compassionate and the most ungrateful into the most grateful, no matter what side of it you are on. It let me see to never take things in life for granted, because someone's "normal" will never be that for me or my child. I still have huge hopes and dreams for him, but we take one step at a time...sometimes several back...but I am climbing this mountain of life with him and will be with him every step of the way.

His days are uncertain and they fill me with worry. The stress can overtake you at times that all you can do is cry. On the outside you are strong and are ready to face anyone when it comes to your child's happiness and well being, but on the inside you are sad for them and worry....you just want their hardships to stop and become easy like normal kids their age. All I know is that I thank God for all the blessings in my life and I count D as the biggest blessing of all.

Hugs to Ian and Sydnee! You are a great inspiration to me!

Alma4Mom
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this was an awesome video!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN