Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

An Uplifting Autism Story – Watch it Now

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:57 AM
  • 42 Replies
4 moms liked this

The Jorgl Family - Our Special Life

Sydnee is the mom of twin 11-year-old boys Jake and Ian, one of whom has been diagnosed with autism. On the first episode of Our Special Life, we see what life is like for the Jorgl family, as they work with Ian's teachers at The Brooklyn Autism Center to help him develop.

CafeMom Studios is Motherhood as we see it. We feature authentic voices, compelling stories, and topics moms care about. Subscribe now to CafeMom Studios so you never miss an episode! 

Do you know a child with autism who is struggling or succeeding in school?

Share your thoughts in the replies below.

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Thanks for sharing this... as someone with a son undergoing testing for asperger's, it's important to me to understand how other families live with a loved one on the spectrum.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Great video. I can relate. My son was dx with PDd-nos when he was 3.5. They are now saying high functioning autism and ADHD. He also has sensory processing issues. He is 7.5.
Cafe AmyS
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM

You're welcome.  I found it quite interesting how his teachers work with him.

Quoting amonkeymom:

Thanks for sharing this... as someone with a son undergoing testing for asperger's, it's important to me to understand how other families live with a loved one on the spectrum.

Cafe AmyS
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Sometimes I wonder about the diagnosis.... there can be so many things that mimic others and so many co-morbid conditions.  I sure don't envy the doctors who do this job.

Quoting Charizma77:

Great video. I can relate. My son was dx with PDd-nos when he was 3.5. They are now saying high functioning autism and ADHD. He also has sensory processing issues. He is 7.5.

betsystipo
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Wow this brouht tears to my eyes.  I want to subscribe to this and see all the families featured.  My Zach was diagnosed PDD-NOS at about 18 mos - we were shocked, I didn't think he was Autistic but believed he had sensory issues.  At 3 he was "downgraded" for lack of a better term to only residual signs of PDD.  On Monday we are taking him to The Child Mind Institue in NYC to be re-eval'd again.  He has anxiety that is getting in the way of everyday life now, as well as the Sensory Issues.  I'm nervous and excited at once - I just want to get him feeling better!

Cafe AmyS
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Good luck!  My son is dealing with anxiety issues as well.

Quoting betsystipo:

Wow this brouht tears to my eyes.  I want to subscribe to this and see all the families featured.  My Zach was diagnosed PDD-NOS at about 18 mos - we were shocked, I didn't think he was Autistic but believed he had sensory issues.  At 3 he was "downgraded" for lack of a better term to only residual signs of PDD.  On Monday we are taking him to The Child Mind Institue in NYC to be re-eval'd again.  He has anxiety that is getting in the way of everyday life now, as well as the Sensory Issues.  I'm nervous and excited at once - I just want to get him feeling better!

Shelley927
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Both of my boys have Aspbergers Syndrome ....I found out with my 17 yo when he was 10 and my 15 yo within the last month but felt like I always knew.......They boy are wonderful kids and have a lot to offer but this world is crazy and I am sure for them difficult to live in...

Mena929
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Great video. Thank you for sharing!!

LivinDeadGurl
So busy lately, I am damned near falling asleep sitting up. I think a nap is in order.
Yesterday at 3:54 PM
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I can so relate. My oldest son Thaddeus has low-functioning autism.

4CraigsMommy4
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 1:55 PM

TFS the video. My husband and I are both special ed teachers and work with children with a wide variety of disabilities. A lot of the kids we work are autistic. Our 4 1/2 year old son, Craig, was diagnosed with austism and epilespey at 12 months. My husband and I work with Craig just like how we work with our students.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN