Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

I want to keep my child away....

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

....from other people's children :/ Wish I didn't feel this way but Hailey is so sweet and kind hearted and when she gets around other kids its like she morphs into a different person.

We just moved from a school where she rode a bus with a little girl who has 6 older brothers and definitely has been a little too informed for a girl of 7 years. Anyways so I was happy to get her away from that kids. Now we're in the new neighborhood and the girl next door is only 6 months older but she acts and dresses like a little rock star and has a super diva attitude. Do any of you fear the influences of other people's children on yours???

~Krystal, mom to Hailey and Taylor pink ribbon

by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BroCosMom
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Yup that's why my 5 yr old is in private school next yr because the kids in her pre-k class this year are HORRIBLE!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FranciRed
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM
3 moms liked this
I do sometimes, but I see it as a learning experience. As much as I'd like to keep him in a "bubble" he needs to learn & be able to form his own opinions. Sometimes the best way to understand things is to learn from the mistakes/opinions of others. As long as I'm here to correct any wrong behavior, I'm cool with it. We have a "the world revolves around me" kid in on our block. She's annoying, but she does have good qualities (or that's what I keep telling myself LOL)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wanderingwolf
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM

We keep to ourselves and don't associate with our neighbors. This will stay the same when we have kids. I will be home schooling from birth to 6th grade so they won't be influnced by kids with bad habits. I think it is sad how 'grown up' and sexualized kids are becoming.

CoeyG
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Nope never feared the influences of other children, I raised my daughter to think for herself.  If you don't want your daughter to be under the influences of other children maybe you should homeschool rather than blaming someone else's child.  

LivinDeadGurl
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 6:32 PM
3 moms liked this

Sometimes I worry about them around certain children whom I know are bad influences, but in general I don't. I would rather my children be exposed to things and learn from them rather than shelter them and have them shocked by the harsh realities that exist when they are adults.

Charli627
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM
I worry sometimes but not really. Kids cant help what they learn and hear sometimes and they soak up things like sponges
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 8:34 PM
3 moms liked this

As far as the bus rides go, I have always said that whatever you didnt want your children to know, they will find out on the bus!

Lindalou907
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I raised my kids to always give everyone a chance,and to be friendly. When I would see a kid being a pest,or acting like a delinquent,I would express disapproval,they always knew where I stood. There was only one kid though,if I remember correctly,that I wouldn't let in our house! Anyway,they are all grown now,successful adults,and have always chosen really good friends.

MommyJDTJ
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:10 PM
I fear that quite a bit, especially since both my boys are sweet and kind. my older boy already gets a hard time at preschool from the girls and he will be in kindergarten next year.

Im afraid hes gonna fall into wrong crowd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReiReally
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:24 AM

No. My son has such a strong personality and sense for how people are that the way others act doesn't really rub off on him. He just kinda accepts who they are and if they get along, they get along. If not, he doesn't really play with them, not because he's trying to be mean but, because he reconizes when he doesn't have the same taste in things to do with other kids and usually the other kid just finds something else to do. No biggie.

Now, if they treat him badly and are mean, it will hurt his feelings and as a 2 year old, he'll respond with some emotional extreme approprate for his age but, on the other end of that scale, if other kids are espically nice to him and try their best to play with him, he usually will try to return the favor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)