Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Help, Hairy Teens!!!

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:40 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have two teenage daughters who are dangerous with a razor when they shave, Does anyone have any other methods of hair removal that work and are not expensive or are not gimmicks!

confused

by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TiffanyCtx
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:48 PM

For legs, the only two things besides shaving would be delipatories (sp?) like Nair or waxing. But when I tried Nair, I didn't find it that effective and it was really hard on my skin. Plus it had a terrible smell. There's just something weird about putting a chemical like that on your legs. And waxing can be expensive at a salon and probably not a good idea for them to do themselves.

They could always try an electric razor. The shave isn't quite as close, but it might be okay for them.  The most helpful thing might be to really teach them how to shave their legs the right way. I'm sure there are books out there on that. I learned from one of my teen magazines when I started shaving. Put on the shaving gel, let it sit for a couple minutes, then shave slowly with light pressure in short strokes (a lot of young girls try to go from ankle to knee in one stroke like they see in the commercials). Then, rinse and finish off by rubbing baby oil on your legs to lock in moisture and avoid skin irritation.

Hope this helps!

CoeyG
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Nair, Neet, Waxing, epilating, 

Charli627
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:07 AM
Agree with them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snuggiewoogie
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Ugh! I sliced my thumb open really bad with a Razor not that long ago. Those things are deadly.....lol... Hope you find something that works for them!

HTMommy
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I use Veet sensitive, they have a few formula's. I used nair in the past but the chemicals in it smell to holy hell and they burnt my skin and that was the sensitive formula. It was horrible. When Veet came out I gave it a try and it works great. It does NOT last 4-6weeks as it says on the packaging, but I don't care because it does work. and I only use it for my bikini area during the summer.

HTMommy
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Oh and at my local stores Veet is cheaper than Nair and generally has a larger container, BUT at the same time, they have to learn to be patient with a razor and get the handling down

bamababe1975
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I recommend the Veet, too. It's the easiest, most pain-free way I know of if they can't shave.

earthangel1967
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I agree with the others all good advice.

Also my kids use to cut themselves on accident shaving too but practice makes perfect and most shaving accidents may hurt a bit and be messy but rarely dangerous.

YVONNE

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)