Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

My 5 yr old daughter is so needy-PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM
  • 9 Replies

I love her to death but the little girl doesn't know how to amuse herself and is constantly up my butt for everything. Anyone else have a little girl or boy like this and what do you do? I feel like I am about to loose my mind!

by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gbcmom
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:59 AM
I have a 5yo dd and a 3yo dd. They are both like that. I think my dd is in pre-k all day and just wants my undivided attention when she gets home and my ds is with me all day everyday and is use to having it so they fight for my attention in the afternoons and weekends. So the results are both kids up my butt, usually whining or fighting. Sorry, but I am not sure what can be done. I have just decided it was the way it is. Welcome to parenthood.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoolMommyofboys
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 1:03 PM

YES! 

My son will be five in the summer...he always wants me to play with him or he wants to watch TV with me- whatever I'm doing except cleaning- he's there.  So I clean all of the time        LOL       not really      when I'm cleaning he's still asking me to play a game with him or he's asking for a snack.

I don't know what to do either, sorry I'm no help.  I usually play Wii with him (as an example) for twenty min. or so and then tell him that I need to go start some laundry.  He will continue to play by himself for a while.

earthangel1967
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Maybe try to figure out some hobbies she may like to try?

YVONNE

ninipanini
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I will often use the line:

I'm not your social director  

OR

I'm not the entertainment committee. 

LOL

CoeyG
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Children need to be taught to amuse themselves when they are infants.  They need to be put down from time to time in a play pen or crib.  Yes they are going to cry, sometimes they cry because they are bored which is why you need to let them cry and not constantly pick them up.  If they aren't hungry or wet or poopy or ill don't pick them up everytime they wimper.  

As far as what to do now...you need to teach her how to entertain herself.  Color books, crayons, paints, markers.  Picture books, chapter books for indoors.  Outside, bubbles, if you are where it snows in the winter, spray bottles with food coloring.  Jumping ropes.  Get her involved in some sort of organization for kids.  Daisy scounts, Dance, martial arts.  

mhmomma
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Depends on the kids moods. My son is 6. For the most part he does play by himself. I have always tried to help the kids learn to entertain themselves. I understand they need out time but they do need to play by themselves
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snuggiewoogie
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Yes I feel for you my daughter is almost 9 and has been this way since day 1 but I know It won't always be like this. She's gonna grow up and wanna do stuff with her friends soon and It will be sad cause my little girl won't wanna hang out with her momma anymore :) I argee with the others try to find her a hobby or something she interested in see how it goes.....

xo.MommyW.xo
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:21 PM
Nope my kids are independant
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
betsystipo
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:45 AM

My kids are pretty good, they have days where they are "up my butt" too tho.  I try to plan things - a little something for everyday.  Even if its a rainy day, I'll plan to take out playdoh or something to keep t hem busy.  I HATE playdoh, and they know it, so I sit in a nearby room where they can see me and talk to me - but they enjoy creating on their own.  If we are outside playing - we will play kickball or baseball for some fun, but I also encourage them to jump on the trampoline or go on their swingset without me.  I try to explain to mine that my "job" is taking care of stuff around the house, keeping it clean and being with t hem.  It helps them to understand that I'm not here just to entertain - but we do all play together too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN