Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you have one

by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Replies (111-114):
LucyHarper
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting LucyHarper:

Oh my God, you're not getting it. I'm saying that owning a gun couldn't have stopped your specific situation, but that doesn't mean that it can't stop thousands of other situations, so guns aren't pointless just because they didn't save you.

Quoting CoeyG:

Explain how owning a gun would help in that same predicament.  Unless as I said in another post, that person has rubber arms that can stretch into a closet, get out the gun, the stretch to a dresser, get the ammo and get it into the gun and shoot the rapist before he slices their throat open

Quoting LucyHarper:

Doesn't mean that it wont save others lives.

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting LucyHarper:

How am I making it your business? All I said was there are valid reasons on why people have guns so dont get into others business about it by acting like they shouldn't and are stupid for having one just because it couldn't save you.

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting LucyHarper:

A gun saved my sister and I from being raped, just because it doesn't help in every situation doesn't mean it wont ever help. If you dont want a gun, dont get one, but its not your business if others get one.

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting gbcmom:

Yes , I have several. And I carry pretty much everywhere I go. I refuse to be a vwictim. I will protect myself and my children by whatever mean necessary.

What if your home is firebombed?  How is a gun going to protect yourself and your children?  What if your children are out somewhere without you and get attacked, how is your gun going to protect them?  What if someone came in at night without you knowing and killed your children in their sleep while you were sleeping...how would the gun protect them?  

I was asleep when the rapist broke into my home, I didn't hear a thing when he broke in and my dog was barking when he did.

If it isn't my business whether someone has a gun or not why are you making it my business?  

I don't care whether someone else has a gun or not, I just don't see how a gun that would be in a closet and ammo that wold be elsewhere would have helped me when I woke up and found my rapist totally naked and a knife at my throat.  A gun would not have saved my life.  

And just because you put your life behind a gun the rest of the world has to?  No thanks.  I've haven't lived 58 (almost 59) years, to hide behind something that isn't going to do any good anyway.  Home is where those children who have shot up their schools got the guns in the first place.  I prefered my daughter not get caught up in that crap. And so far that is all I've heard about what happens when guns are in the home.  

I never said that you had to get a gun, I said that a gun has saved countless lives so you shouldn't be so critical of others having one. Hiding behind something that wont do any good anyway? Is that what I was doing when I was 12 and pointed a gun at a man and successfully stopped the rape of myself and my five year old sister? If someone has is mentally unstable enough to shoot up a school, that has nothing to do with having a gun in the house and they would have gotten their hands on one anyway if they really wanted to. Having a gun in the home saved my sister and I, so no, thats not all you have heard of having guns in the home. Having guns in the home has provided meals for countless families in my town. If you teach a child gun safety, are responsible with the gun, and make sure that your child doesn't get to that point, there is absolutely no danger of having one in the home. 

Browncoat4eva
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Quoting LucyHarper:
Is that what I was doing when I was 12 and pointed a gun at a man and successfully stopped the rape of myself and my five year old sister? If someone has is mentally unstable enough to shoot up a school, that has nothing to do with having a gun in the house and they would have gotten their hands on one anyway if they really wanted to. Having a gun in the home saved my sister and I, so no, thats not all you have heard of having guns in the home. Having guns in the home has provided meals for countless families in my town. If you teach a child gun safety, are responsible with the gun, and make sure that your child doesn't get to that point, there is absolutely no danger of having one in the home. 

Too true. How great that you were able to protect yourself and your sister from such a horrible fate.

My uncle was elderly & a cancer patient and his home was broken into. He actually saw the guy pass up and down the block 2 or 3 times, then the man came right up and pushed in through the front door. My uncle had his shotgun in the room with him and went down with it... the guy was startled, turned and ran out.

I shudder to think what would have happened to my uncle had he not had the gun, he certainly couldn't have physically defended himself otherwise. His leg was so deteriorated he was at the point where he could only walk or stand for a little while at a time.

I don't personally own one, never have. But I've heard other stories like yours & my uncles. If an attacker sneaks up on you and can't do anything, you're no better or worse off... however, if you do get that chance, at least it's there and it can be a life saver.

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

Sailorsbeauty
by on May. 22, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Yes I have a Sig Sauer Sp2220 9mm

LuvMyBoy08
by on May. 22, 2012 at 5:25 PM
Yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)