Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

So I know its a little ways off, but what are you going to do for Memorial day this year?

Its actually my anniversary this year LOL so I want to go down to the beach for the day. Hubby is a little adverse to it though since its always insane, especially if its nice out. But I still really want to go since we can spend it all together for a change.

What about you ladies? Have you started thinking about it yet?

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Replies (61-70):
HTMommy
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I actually never heard that, I knew it was in rememberance. But even so if its the way its to be done so-to-speak, and taking it literally, not everyone mourns the same. The actual loss is sad enough and remembering all we have lost is even worse, I don't believe in continuing to remembering loss so somberly. Part of the reason is because all those we are remembering we are doing so because they were ultimately fighting for freedoms. Freedoms so we could celebrate, so why not party and celebrate and be happy?

Quoting aMarieT:

Memorial Day is supposed to be a day of mourning and remembrance.

That is why the flag is flown at half staff from dawn til noon (mourning) then from noon to dusk it's at full staff (remembrance).

We will be flying our flag and putting flags on veterans graves at the local cemetery

HTMommy
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Is there a chance of going full time?

Quoting :

LoriAnn87
by Lori on May. 1, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Quoting HTMommy:

I know, but theres a bunch of loopholes too. Its something about how many hours you worked during what that pay period will bee. She explained it once to me. Its some crap about if the hours with time and a half turn out to be over the full time hour cut off they don't get it, but if its part time and only a few hours they'll get time and a half but only if they are scheduled for X-amount of hours. Its was so confusing and stupidly a** backwards its not funny. Its everything they can do to not pay people. smh

Quoting LoriAnn87:

Quoting HTMommy:

She's full time, she's a bakery manager so she has to deal with it all the time. Its a big headache

Quoting LoriAnn87:

Quoting HTMommy:

I thought that was standard practice? Maybe its only under certain circumstances. I know my mil who works for acme has alot of loopholes for time and a half :-(

Quoting LoriAnn87:

Quoting HTMommy:

Gonna have a bbq when you get home? Is it Time and a half at least?

Quoting LoriAnn87:

probley working

laughingi wish i get paid time and half but i don't. probley not because i probley will have to close that day.

is she part time or full time because i know the fuller timer get more then the parter times do

that's why she gets the paid time a half on hoildays part time don't really get much.

I know the loopholes and I have been with BD with 1 1/2 and never notice a differnece in my pay on hoildays or weekend and the employeers don't have to pay us time in half for weekends or hoildays they only do so if they under conract like my husband which he would get paid time in half if he work on the weekends or hoildays but then he would get paid overtime or double time. In the State NJ the law doesn't aquire employees to get paid time and half.

PEEK05
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I haven't thought past the 5th/Cinco de Mayo since it's DS's first birthday. I will start thinking about Memorial Day after that.

LoriAnn87
by Lori on May. 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Quoting HTMommy:

Quoting :

I can't go full time don't have a sitter for my son and with my husband's job it's not a possible because he sit with our son while I work at night and I could wait until Mikey is in school all day but still need a sitter for days he has off or anythign else they may come up. Full time would nice but I would have to go to another store to get that but it's not 100% that I would get the job. I like where I'm working because it's close to my house and i like working part time because it works out for everyone and my pay check is just extra income coming in I really don't care about the over time pay or time in half pay.

HTMommy
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:50 PM

lol we're having a sleepover for my oldest's bday

Quoting PEEK05:

I haven't thought past the 5th/Cinco de Mayo since it's DS's first birthday. I will start thinking about Memorial Day after that.

HTMommy
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Gotcha

Quoting LoriAnn87:

Quoting HTMommy:

Quoting :

I can't go full time don't have a sitter for my son and with my husband's job it's not a possible because he sit with our son while I work at night and I could wait until Mikey is in school all day but still need a sitter for days he has off or anythign else they may come up. Full time would nice but I would have to go to another store to get that but it's not 100% that I would get the job. I like where I'm working because it's close to my house and i like working part time because it works out for everyone and my pay check is just extra income coming in I really don't care about the over time pay or time in half pay.

Jenni_Lynne71
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:23 AM
None yet...more than likely, if it's nice out, we will go fishing and cookout, with hopefully a bonfire
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SparkleSail
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM
We just moved to Austin Tx, a month ago and my SO's parents have already made plans to come visit memorial weekend, so we will probably go out to the lake and go eat somewhere :))
IhaveHisjoy
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Memorial day is a go to cemetary day for my family..clean graves, put flags out etc..then back to my house to grill out and have fellowship time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)