Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I know its a little ways off, but what are you going to do for Memorial day this year?

Its actually my anniversary this year LOL so I want to go down to the beach for the day. Hubby is a little adverse to it though since its always insane, especially if its nice out. But I still really want to go since we can spend it all together for a change.

What about you ladies? Have you started thinking about it yet?

by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Replies (71-80):
LucyHarper
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Theres a parade in town made by veterans and then we go to the cemetary and clean the graves of soldiers and leave flags.

LucyHarper
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:06 AM

It's really sad that a day thats meant to honor fallen soldiers, which has been around since right after the civil war, has turned into a day of sales at stores and parties to the point that a lot of people dont even know what its for anymore.

Quoting aMarieT:

Memorial Day is supposed to be a day of mourning and remembrance.

That is why the flag is flown at half staff from dawn til noon (mourning) then from noon to dusk it's at full staff (remembrance).

We will be flying our flag and putting flags on veterans graves at the local cemetery

aMarieT
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM

i know

it does sadden me

Quoting LucyHarper:

It's really sad that a day thats meant to honor fallen soldiers, which has been around since right after the civil war, has turned into a day of sales at stores and parties to the point that a lot of people dont even know what its for anymore.

Quoting aMarieT:

That is why the flag is flown at half staff from dawn til noon (mourning) then from noon to dusk it's at full staff (remembrance).

We will be flying our flag and putting flags on veterans graves at the local cemetery

cm2familymom
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM

We are going to Fishstock...maybe even do the fishing tournament...cant wait

HTMommy
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I haven't been fishing in a few years that sounds like fun! 

Quoting Jenni_Lynne71:

None yet...more than likely, if it's nice out, we will go fishing and cookout, with hopefully a bonfire

HTMommy
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Congratulations on moving (if it was a good thing) Enjoy your visit!

Quoting SparkleSail:

We just moved to Austin Tx, a month ago and my SO's parents have already made plans to come visit memorial weekend, so we will probably go out to the lake and go eat somewhere :))

HTMommy
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Sounds like a day well spent

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Memorial day is a go to cemetary day for my family..clean graves, put flags out etc..then back to my house to grill out and have fellowship time.

HTMommy
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Do you get a large envolvement with various other people or is it just you and your family that do this? Where I am its pretty dominated by the boy scouts

Quoting LucyHarper:

Theres a parade in town made by veterans and then we go to the cemetary and clean the graves of soldiers and leave flags.

HTMommy
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM

This is very true, thw whole of what you said is true....everything is so commercialized though its always a sale season. I will never forget a few years ago a local car dealer had a tasteless commercial something along the lines of "they died to give YOU these savings" It didn't aire very long....Alot of people just see memorial day as a day off from work/school and a long weekend. Its not talked about much in school of why we celebrate it, they don't make a big deal over it and I think thats part of the reason why. 

Quoting LucyHarper:

Quoting aMarieT:

HTMommy
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Fishstock? Is it a combination of fishing and concerts or just when they stock the fishing areas and open them up for the season? Either way that sounds like fun! LOL

Quoting cm2familymom:

We are going to Fishstock...maybe even do the fishing tournament...cant wait

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)