Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why does she do this!?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM
  • 12 Replies

My poor DD, she is 2 and about a month ago, she starting twirling her hair, usually toward the top of her head. She use to do it, when she was bored or tired, now she is constantly doing it. It's gotten to the point were she literately gets her finger stuck in her head, because she twirled it in a tight knot to her scalp!! I took her on a walk the other day, and had to stop twice because she is crying that her "finner is tuck" lol ugh she is something else!! No matter what I do, she wont stop.. When I see her do it, I say "no,no don't play with your hair" and I put her hair in a ponytail.. but she just takes it out. I hope she gets over this stage soon!!

Photobucket

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nybor48
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM

eventually she will get to the point where she will be able to tie a knot in her hair that will come right back out.... lol

make sure you use lots of conditioner on her hair, helps the knots come out easier...  other than that, i have no solutions..  i have "twirled" my hair all my life.  (and i'm turning 50 this year)  But i have also always had long hair....

vvanness89
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I do put lots on conditioner in her hair, because of this! She twirls it in very tight knots.. one day we were going to wal-mart.. she was doing her usual hair twirling, and she fell asleep!! When i got to wal-mart and went to go take her out of the car, I realized her poor little finger was tightly stuck in her hair, her circulation was getting cut off, the tip of her finger was purple!! How she could sleep like that is beyond me!?

LivinDeadGurl
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Man....I am glad my daughter never did this. UGH. Hope you can find a solution for it.

MrsRinehart2010
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:19 PM

it sounds like it has just became a habit.

VintageWife
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:21 PM

My bff did that as a child to comfort herself. She is in her 30's and still does it when she's spacing out.

letstalk747
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:21 PM

lets hope it passes

VintageWife
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:22 PM

BTW...I think I'd keep some of that child's spray detangler and a comb in her bag in the car.

CoeyG
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Take her hands out of her hair and hold them and tell her "No"  Also redirect her.  If she is so bored she is twriling her hair then get her something to do.  

FranciRed
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Looks like it became a habit. Give her hands something else to do once you notice her twirling & she will eventually stop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Also if she does it to fall asleep, give her a soft doll blanket to rub instead and you "rub" her head instead.  Obviously she finds it soothing.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)