Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

a new member and need advise on my two yr old.

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM
  • 27 Replies

me and my fiance moved in together a couple months ago we are pregnant and i have one child from a previous relationship (he is two) everything is going great  but lately i am exhausted due to the pregnancy and my two yr. old wakes up consistantly through the night ( about 4-5 times ) and by the last time i let him just climb in bed with us. and its causing a problem between me and my fiance. i get my fiance's point about him needed to sleep in his own bed but i am also being a mamma bear and get a little defensive about the situation .....anyone have advise??

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lindalou907
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I'm sorry,you guys need your sleep! Has he always been waking so often,or just since the move? Does he have his own room? I had to let both my boys "cry it out" a couple of times before they learned that night time was our time,and they needed to stay in their own bed. I have a friend whose 13 year old son still wants to sleep with her! No joke! I have to side with your fiance on this one.

CoeyG
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

He should be sleeping in his own bed.   If you don't have a bedtime routine you need to start one, bath, drink, tooth brushing, story, kisses and hugs, then goodnight  

momof25356
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:42 PM

we do have a routine with the whole bath teeth story and he evem goes to bed by him self in his own room but since he has been a baby he has always awakened during the night ...i dont know what it is but im just a little scared with the new baby on the way that im NEVER going to get sleep.....does it really come down to getting up every hour or two hrs and putting him back to sleep? i know its possible but we have been trying to do this for a month now and nothing has changed....he still wakes up ! :(

VintageWife
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't agree that he should be sleeping in his own bed all the time. What is wrong with kids knowing that mommy is there for them when they need it most?

CoeyG
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Quoting momof25356:

we do have a routine with the whole bath teeth story and he evem goes to bed by him self in his own room but since he has been a baby he has always awakened during the night ...i dont know what it is but im just a little scared with the new baby on the way that im NEVER going to get sleep.....does it really come down to getting up every hour or two hrs and putting him back to sleep? i know its possible but we have been trying to do this for a month now and nothing has changed....he still wakes up ! :(

So when he wakes up you take him back to bed, tuck him back in and go back to bed yourself.  It could also be that he feels "threatend" by the new baby, the change in his environment.  One thing that might help is getting him involvedin preparing for the new baby.  

CoeyG
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Quoting VintageWife:

I don't agree that he should be sleeping in his own bed all the time. What is wrong with kids knowing that mommy is there for them when they need it most?

Nothing is "wrong" with it but some parents don't choose to parent that way.  

Newfie_Mom
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM

**NOT GOING TO BE THE MOST POPULAR IDEA 

I closed my sons door (I have a monitor I can hear him still) after awhile of realizing he could not get to me he stopped trying. We also incorporated the following "conversation" into our bedtime routine  

Momma: Who is mommas good boy? DS: Me! Momma: What do good boys do? DS: Stay in bed Momma: So what is mommas good boy going to do? DS: Stay in bed! Then I tell him that's right and tell him he is a good boy again and tell him how much I love him. 

momof25356
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:47 AM
Thank you for all the advise .. It's just hard... I think me and my fiances parenting skills are clashing on everything when it comes to my son and it totally brings out the mamma bear.... It's not fun and I think with me not getting sleep and now the crazy hormones I'm loosing my mind lol... But I will definitely try some of the ideas you ladies have offered ....:)
CoeyG
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Quoting Newfie_Mom:

I closed my sons door (I have a monitor I can hear him still) after awhile of realizing he could not get to me he stopped trying. We also incorporated the following "conversation" into our bedtime routine  

Momma: Who is mommas good boy? DS: Me! Momma: What do good boys do? DS: Stay in bed Momma: So what is mommas good boy going to do? DS: Stay in bed! Then I tell him that's right and tell him he is a good boy again and tell him how much I love him. 

That's a great thing.  My daughter had a monitor as well and she shut her bedroom door, but she was a rather independent kid when she was a toddler LOL

thanush
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:18 AM
Closing the door does make them sleep better. I did that until my DD was from 1yr to about 15 months. Then I heard about an incident and freaked out. In a fire, doors get stuck easily! I don't close it all the way anymore.
Check if his bedroom gets too much light. Or if his rooms air vents work fine. He could be still adjusting to the new room. I would put him back to sleep in his bed when he wakes up.. You could take him in to your bed and then take him back too.
Quoting Newfie_Mom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)