Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

lap ban

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM
  • 8 Replies
What are your thoughts on have lap ban surgery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
CoeyG
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Never had it don't want it.  

Ednarooni160
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I have seen people who have had it and one that had bypass surgery.  They lost the weight,. LOTS of it within a year.. Looked terrific.  Now, for some reason they have put most of it back on.  Met a lady in a craft class, that was telling me how two or three in  her family all had bypass surgery and they were "more" ill after having it.  Just "research" it well before making a decision..if you are asking for yourself or someone else.

xo.MommyW.xo
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Its lap band, and it sucks, u have to have a port and get saline injections.

My husband had a VGP which is basically a perm lap band amd he likes it.

I think its just better to chage your lifestyle eat properly and exercise.

Weight loss surgery is not an easy fix
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I wouldn't rule it out,but you have to be VIGILANT to not put the weight back on. My daughter-in-law had gastric bypass and she looks amazing,but she's also very careful. She did have a complication and ended up back in the hospital,but she still doesn't regret it.

Browncoat4eva
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I have known a few people to get it and most of them have gained the weight back (except one guy, who got regular weight loss surgery, he died on the table. That was pretty tragic).

It works for a while through negative reinforcement-- you simply get sick if you try to eat too much, so it discourages overeating. That's how it works-- forcing you to eat less. After a while though, people can gradually work their way back up until they are again at a place they can eat more calories than they need, stretching out the stomach again just like they did the first time around.

The problem as I see it: it doesn't solve the issues that would normally make someone overweight. People have addictions to food, bad habits, lead to sedentary a life, etc... the weight loss surgeries don't change the psychological issues.

If the psychological issues aren't solved and a healthier lifestyle isn't adopted, then the surgery is just a temporary deal.

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Not or me!
earthangel1967
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I'd do it but wont.. cant afford to

YVONNE

letstalk747
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:13 AM

i would have to research it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)