Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

How would you feel if you made things and your family mocked you for making them but show off your niece/nephew proudly like its the cutest thing ever wearing something almost identical to what you make, that was made by someone else?

Personally I would feel slapped in the face and kinda of sad to call them family...

How about you and why?

by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Replies (11-20):
earthangel1967
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM

It would hurt my feelings but I would feel if the other thing was almost identical to what I made then they are obviously nit picking on me and I would practice hardening myself to their opinions considering the source.

YVONNE

CoeyG
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM
3 moms liked this

In my teens I used to write short stories and poetry.  My poems were often published in a girls magazine called "Calling All Girls" and I had a short story published in our local newspaper as well.  Not a major writer but I do have a little talent LOL.  My mother constantly critisized me for it.  

Some were dark poems about death, dying and the war in Viet Nam.  One was actually about a friend who was killed in Nam.  She so often put me down that I lost interest in writing for a very long time, now I write every once in awhile...and I sometimes post it on my blog.  Very short stories, mostly about my growing up.  Maybe someday I'll complie them all and send them off to see if they do get published...I wish I could have been closer to my dad because he did leave me a letter when he died.  In it he praised my writing, and was so proud that as a teen I  was actually published...now when I come up with an idea I can feel him there smiling with pride...thanks daddy

jtjrpsmmy
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:07 PM
I'd ignore them. I've learned to. My family is similar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snuggiewoogie
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:27 PM
I would do what makes Crystal happy! :)
betsystipo
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Crystal, is someone doing this to you with all the beautiful stuff you are making?

VintageWife
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I'd be used to it. I don't feel I get as much acknowledgement over things my cousins do with their kids. I mean we have 3 kids and a house and it's like my one cousin just had a kid and everyone in the family is acting as if it is their child. And they bought a house that I think is just okay but everyone acts like it's a multi-million dollar home. Noone has said much about our home which I think has better features to it like all hardwoods and a finished basement with a rec room and such.

So yeah, I understand what you mean about someone having the same things but one person's is "better".

Shellness
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Don't give them the power to hurt you dear. Its not worth it.

CoeyG
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Quoting Shellness:

Don't give them the power to hurt you dear. Its not worth it.

I agree, keep doing what you do and don't allow them to bring you down.  

Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Honestly, that would hurt my feelings
Browncoat4eva
by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:59 AM

That sounds kinda harsh; I mean, there's joking and good natured ribbing and then there is just putting someone down. This doesn't sound like the good natured ribbing type joking.

I would probably not go to them for their opinions on such things anymore, for starters.

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)