Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you send your kids away for the summer?

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM
  • 50 Replies

I didn't know how common this was until recently and wondering if it's just a coincidence. I've talked to 4 moms recently who are sending thier kids to thier grandparents for the summer.  ages of the kids range from 10 months to 8 years old. This just seems odd to me! Does anyone do this?

Mom of maddie 8, Jonny 6, katie 4
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shellness
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM

No, I never did. My children missed out in the Grandparents department. The ones who get to are lucky.

SarahLizyB
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Nope. I may send him to camp when he gets a tad older.

chrisbabygurl
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:08 PM
nope i dont my parents live right up the street they dont even leave for the night
Kris_PBG
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Nope - no way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AimBre
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:11 PM

My little one is only almost 3 months but no he will not be sent away for the summer. Both sets of grandparents seem to think it will happen since his dad is military and we won't be close by them, that we'll send him to them to share for the summer but it's not happening. However he will attend a summer camp or two, something no longer than a week probably. 

ohmommamia
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:12 PM
No way. Older kids may go visit for a few days but that's it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lanceandhailey
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM

No way...ugh. I could see a week maybe...

CoeyG
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I was assistant leader of my daughter's Girl Scout troop and yes I sent her to camp every summer because she loved it.  I also spent a week at camp every summer which gained my daughter another week.  If she didn't enjoy it I wouldn't have sent her.  It started when she went to day camp.  She didn't want to come home at the end of the day LOL.  She went one session where they took bike tours, another year they lived and worked on a ranch that borded horses, they had to clean the stalls and tac rooms plus they got to learn how to ride...I think that was her favoirt session.  They had a session where they camped out on an "island" in the lake the camp set on sort of a mini "survival".  She went to camp up until she was 15.  My daughter also spent a week with her grandparents at their cottage on Keuka Lake because both her dad and I worked and that was usually the week our summer sitter took her vacation.  

ShyJen
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I dont necessarily send them away for the summer, but I do send them to DH's aunts farm for a week while DH and I go on a weekend trip alone to another state.

polishdiva
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I'm thinking about driving my little girl back down to the south for the Summer.  They miss her so much and she has 3 sets of Grandparents so they can fight out time with her without me being there. :) But the main reason is so that I can get on a job somewhere and set up childcare for her without having to worry for a few months.

Mrs.Breeza Bae

"If you completely open your eyes, you will see the world around you."       kiss

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)