Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you send your kids away for the summer?

Posted by   + Show Post

I didn't know how common this was until recently and wondering if it's just a coincidence. I've talked to 4 moms recently who are sending thier kids to thier grandparents for the summer.  ages of the kids range from 10 months to 8 years old. This just seems odd to me! Does anyone do this?

Mom of maddie 8, Jonny 6, katie 4
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Replies (41-50):
Browncoat4eva
by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:28 PM

No, not for a whole summer. They've gone on vacation to visit family or with friends, but it's been short weekends or a week.

If my kids had grandparents in another state that they would visit I might let them go for up to a month... but my mother lives nearby, my dad is dead and my mother in law had almost nothing to do with them (she'd abandoned her kids, my husband spent half his childhood in a group home. Needless to say, she was not all that enthusiastic about parenting or grandparenting).

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

BonitaM
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:09 PM

DD goes to my parents for the summer.....but I go with her.  We spend every summer at the farm and try to travel/camp/etc. as well but going there is a huge part of summer.  I could never imagine sending DD away by herself for the summer......bad enough school steals her most of the year from me.

luvmybug
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM

i definitely don't. i would miss her too much!

reddecker
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Nope. If they go I usually go with for trips, ect.

HTMommy
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM

never. doesn't help that I live with my parents but even still it would be pointless as they both work full time jobs. The only ones that are retired are the great grands and they are in no shape to care for little ones. We do visit during the summer though, but it becomes overwhelming for the greatgrands because neither side is very healthy. One is on dialysis until she expires and the other greandmother either has dementia or early onset alzheimers

My older two however are going to be going to a morning camp at the upper elementary school for 2 weeks this year.

MomRocs1102
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I couldn't, I would miss my love to much

tinysmom160
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Well my kids are older now but when they was younger I never sent then away to camp or anything. Their grandparent only lived a block away. But my daughter love to visit her aunt Jerilyn every summer for a few weeks so she would go there but she always wanted too becuase they spoiled her.

Momforhealth
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM
I do not but I think its good for them to be loved by others. I loved it as a kid
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ladybug.Hugs
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Quoting chrisbabygurl:

nope i dont my parents live right up the street they dont even leave for the night

this...Except my parents live across town...My kids are 1 & 3 and I just think they are too little right now, maybe when they are older if they ask to go to a camp or something-MAYBE...But I prefer them be with me and their father.

CoolMommyofboys
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I wish  LOL

my parents and DH's parents are close- like fifteen min. away- they may spend a night or two (not two in a row) during the summer but that's it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)