Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Did anyone cloth diaper?

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM
  • 10 Replies

I'm looking into cloth diapering because I heard that it supposedly saves a ton of money. I am going to ask about it on the "cuties with the cloth booties" forum, but you have to apply first and who knows how long it will be for them to get back to me, so I was seeing if anyone on here did it. If you know about it, how much do you estimate that you saved on diapers? Were the messes in the diapers really heard to clean up? How exactly does the cloth diapering work, so it doesn't all just soak through? Was it all worth it? Does it cause any problems or prevent them in terms of diaper rash? How much does it cost per diaper and how many do you need?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

We cloth diaper. I can't estimate the savings. I know there are calculators for that online though. It's not hard to clean them. We installed a diaper sprayer to the toilet (kitchen sprayer hooked to the water line going into the bottom of the toilet) and that is how we clean poopy diapers before putting them in the pail. One of the kinds of diapers we have, you stick an insert through an opening on the diaper and that is what it all soaks into. The other kind you just use a prefold and fasten a cover around it.

It is worth it to me. There aren't many diaper rashes unless your child urinates a lot at night. You can either solve this by using a prefold at night instead of a microfiber one that allows the moisture against the skin or you can use a disposable at night. You can't use diaper cream with cloth. When our daughter gets redness or a rash which is usually from pooping problems or from urinating a lot at night. We put her in a disposable for one diaper change and layer on some ointment.

Diaper cost depends on if you buy them new or used and if you buy them separately or in a bundle :) BTW...I find CWCB to be a confusing group. They are fastpaced and assume everyone already knows abbreviations and stuff. I haven't been in there in a long time though so it could be different. There are smaller cd'ing groups on CM.

maciymommieof3
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:56 PM

No, Not me.

CoeyG
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:32 AM

I cloth diapered until we moved cross country in our van.  It's no fun sitting in a car in July for 8 hours with a load of shitty diapers getting "ripe", until you can get them washed wherever you stop for the night.  The cost is about the same when you factor in the extra detergent/bleach/softner, water, energer to heat the water in order to get those cloth diapers clean.  

Aphrodisiac
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:37 AM

We cloth diapered my baby sister, it was nasty and horrible. I vowed I would never do that with my kids. I just can't handle poo like that.

Mom2NandJ
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:43 AM
I did for my oldest but I can't remember the difference in cost. But it was signifigant. Sorry, that was a long time ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllieJ11
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:18 AM
I didn't know anything about cloth when I had my oldest so he was in disposables. When I was pregnant with my second I started doing a bunch of research and I really liked the money saving aspect as well as the facts that there aren't a ton of chemicals and crap in cloth and that they're just so damn cute!

The money saving can be astrinomical. The average spend on disposables for one child monthly is $70, so that's over $800 a year and close to $2,500 by the time the child is potty trained (if they're potty trained by/around age 3). Cloth diapering can be pricey at the beginning because you're buying in bulk, but no where near $2,500, unless you're a crazy diaper addict who constantly buys $25-40 diapers on a regular basis... You can cut your costs even more by going the prefolds and covers route, or even by making your own diapers out of pretty much any material, even old t-shirts! I'm no expert sewer but I have probably 10 diapers that I made on my own, you just buy a pattern and it's really pretty easy (they're not perfect but they do what they're supposed to do!) I also buy a lot of mine used and I search all the different sites for deals. The FSOT page in CWCB is great because it's other moms selling their diapers that they don't need/use anymore so you know that they work and they aren't going to screw you. You can even order China diapers from EBay for like $4 a piece (I don't know much abou China dipes I've never used them but I know some people really like them for the price...)

Another awesome thing about cloth is you can reuse them for future children. I have an almost 4 year old, twin 2 year olds and a 6 month old (the youngest 3 in diapers still) and right now my 6 month old is in one of the first diapers I bought for my 4 year old!

There are so many different kinds of diapers and it can definitely be confusing at first. The easiest thing to do is try a few different kinds and figure out what works best for you and baby (and don't go out and go crazy over different diapers until you've tried them all because what you think you'll like sometimes just doesn't work for you...) For example, I know a ton of people swear by prefolds and covers, but I've just never been a fan... I'm much more of a fan of pockets (where you stuff absorbent inserts into the pocket of the diaper and therefore can make it as absorbent as you want) and All In Ones (AIOs) which are the most similar to disposables because you just put them on baby's bottom and then take them off when they are soiled, no stuffing or anything involved.

Having 3 in diapers (plus 3 older children) I have a fairly large stash because I don't have the time to wash diapers every day (I struggle to stay caught up on regular laundry as it is). I usually do a diaper load every 3ish days. I use a wetpail that I just keep in the laundry room, and I dump the poop into the toilet and throw it in the pail. They soak for a few days and I wash them like normal clothes, and tumble dry on low...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Browncoat4eva
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I never did, but my friend had these cloth washable diapers with velcro, just like the disposable kind, and she saved a ton. This was her third kid, the others she had used disposable. She'd just pick up poop out of it with a baby wipe and throw it out, put the diaper in the baggie and wash them at the end of the day. She barely ever had to buy new ones, only every few nmotns when the baby outgrew the old ones.

I would babysit for her sometimes, there were no leakage problems. I don't know if they had a liner sewed in between the layers or something.

I think how many you need largely depends on how often you wash diapers... I would think at least a dozen, you could probably get away with a day or two... more if you have to lug to the laundry mat once or twice per week.

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

snuggiewoogie
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM

No my MIL was nice enough to keep us going with diapers and formula. If you go that route hope it works well for you....

mightymo
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:43 PM

i did the cloth diaper, but used a somehting like a plastic pull up over the diaper ,otherwise everything gets wet

mhmomma
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:49 PM

no I didnt

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN