Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

I need some idea's..........

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM
  • 26 Replies

I have really been struggling with my Blood Pressure lately. I'm on meds but everytime I eat sodium it makes it go up. My question is What can I eat for lunch other then Lunchmeats or Frozen Lean Cuisisne's,  Soups, that are tasty but not too loaded up with Sodium. Please don't say Salad's I like them I usually will have one with dinner.lol.... Any Idea's of something good for lunch? Today I'm thinking of a Bagel with Cream Cheese I think that's too terrible. We'll see!!

frustrated

by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicole2884
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM

cottage cheese an berries

apples an peanut butter maybe

bhow
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM

You could try salt substitute, I've never used it so I don't know how it is.  Fruit salads?  Sorry not much here I guess.

mommysplace
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I found this recipe for chicken sald on a low sodium web site. I hope it helps...I'll google some more & see if I find something even better:)

Chicken salad: 5-6 oz. cut up grilled chicken breast, 1 cup grapes halved, 1/4 celery or carrot or both chopped up, pepper, 1 tbsp. fat free or low fat mayo. Keep cold till ready to eat.

Browncoat4eva
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I eat:

Hummus sandwiches or wraps (home-made; so cheap & easy in the blender). My fave, I have it about 3/4 times per week. You can make a batch in 10 minutes, it'll last the week. You can even season it up with so many other things you won't miss the salt.

Egg white omelet. I stuff it with a bag of mixed frozen veggies (I roast them a few minutes in some foil under the broiler to give them flavor).

I also sometime make a batch of mini quiches stuffed with veggies for the week, and dip into them. They're easy to grab on the go.

Egg salad in a sandwich or on crackers.

Tuna fish. Don't put in mayo; use light or FF ranch dressing.

I like a little platter to pick on with cheese (any kind-- from cottage cheese to brie), raw veggies, fruits & crackers.

I like to make home-made soups in big quantity and freeze them in quart sized containers. I'll take them out for lunch or dinner whenever I want. I don't like canned soup.

Once per month or so I make a big pot of beans and freeze them in small containers. Then I have them for lunch with rice.

Dinner leftovers.

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

snuggiewoogie
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I like Veggie Patties. So many foods have so much hidden sodium. Thanks for the tips :)

CoeyG
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I have salads for lunch and dinner.  I love them.  Bagels are very high in sodium by the way.  (I know because I have to watch my sodium).  I read labels on everything I purchase.  If you still use table salt, toss it.  If you have cucumbers you can slice some up and with some Miracle whip or if you prefer mayo you can make cucumber sandwiches...of course you would have to have a low sodium bread.  Lightly breaded or unbreaded broised fish is good...don't use salt to seasons, use lemon.  Any vegetables either raw or steamed are good for lunch.  But don't use table salt.  

snuggiewoogie
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Quoting CoeyG:

I have salads for lunch and dinner.  I love them.  Bagels are very high in sodium by the way.  (I know because I have to watch my sodium).  I read labels on everything I purchase.  If you still use table salt, toss it.  If you have cucumbers you can slice some up and with some Miracle whip or if you prefer mayo you can make cucumber sandwiches...of course you would have to have a low sodium bread.  Lightly breaded or unbreaded broised fish is good...don't use salt to seasons, use lemon.  Any vegetables either raw or steamed are good for lunch.  But don't use table salt.  

I never use the Salt Shaker. Bagels are high really! Ugh! I have really got to start watching this. I like salad but sometimes I want something else. We'll there is always Peanut Butter and Jelly. lol....

CoolMommyofboys
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Can I come eat lunch at your house? That sounds so good!!

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

I eat:

Hummus sandwiches or wraps (home-made; so cheap & easy in the blender). My fave, I have it about 3/4 times per week. You can make a batch in 10 minutes, it'll last the week. You can even season it up with so many other things you won't miss the salt.

Egg white omelet. I stuff it with a bag of mixed frozen veggies (I roast them a few minutes in some foil under the broiler to give them flavor).

I also sometime make a batch of mini quiches stuffed with veggies for the week, and dip into them. They're easy to grab on the go.

Egg salad in a sandwich or on crackers.

Tuna fish. Don't put in mayo; use light or FF ranch dressing.

I like a little platter to pick on with cheese (any kind-- from cottage cheese to brie), raw veggies, fruits & crackers.

I like to make home-made soups in big quantity and freeze them in quart sized containers. I'll take them out for lunch or dinner whenever I want. I don't like canned soup.

Once per month or so I make a big pot of beans and freeze them in small containers. Then I have them for lunch with rice.

Dinner leftovers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supergirl362
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:49 PM
I just made baked tilapia with veggies for lunch today. I don't think there is too much sodium in there... But it was yummy! And since my hubby won't eat it, and neither will my child, I have left overs for the rest of the week for lunch!
TheJerseyGirl
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Do what I do and switch to all sugar! Nah....There has got be a cookbook or some website that will give you some yummy ideas instead of all those bland ones.

That stinks about your blood pressure! Is that hereditary?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)