Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

I need some idea's..........

Posted by   + Show Post

I have really been struggling with my Blood Pressure lately. I'm on meds but everytime I eat sodium it makes it go up. My question is What can I eat for lunch other then Lunchmeats or Frozen Lean Cuisisne's,  Soups, that are tasty but not too loaded up with Sodium. Please don't say Salad's I like them I usually will have one with dinner.lol.... Any Idea's of something good for lunch? Today I'm thinking of a Bagel with Cream Cheese I think that's too terrible. We'll see!!

frustrated

by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Replies (21-26):
HTMommy
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Aww, what else is going on thats got it up, it can't just be from eating too much salt hon. Do you have hypertension? Are you stressed out? Along with eating low/no sodium foods start making your own stuff, that way you KNOW what goes into it. If you like chicken noodle soup take your chicken bones and boil them in water, onions, celery. drain the veggies and bones save the broth. next time you make an oven stuffer and you don't know what to do with the leftovers you can boil the carcass after you pick off the extra meat, freeze the meat for later, and add it in with some fresh veggies and noodles. Home made chicken noodle soup and completely salt free.

HTMommy
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Like Colleen said, anything that is in a can has sodium, its the preservative and if its not salt you don't want it anyway because then its chemical usually. Some are pressure treated and cooked in the can to preserve, but alters the nutrient levels.

HTMommy
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM

What about eggs? They are great for you, you can hard boil them and eat them like that or poach them or fry them with some oil or salt free butter

HTMommy
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM

For seasonings, you can use spices in general, garlic is a favorite, also try vinegar and lemon juice instead of salt. Be careful of cheese and salt is a big ingredient along with the milk and whey. But its also moderation too. There is very little that is salt free, but there are alot of options.

snuggiewoogie
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Quoting HTMommy:

For seasonings, you can use spices in general, garlic is a favorite, also try vinegar and lemon juice instead of salt. Be careful of cheese and salt is a big ingredient along with the milk and whey. But its also moderation too. There is very little that is salt free, but there are alot of options.

Thank you sweetie for all your idea's. I will just have to be more careful and try to read the labels more. I am not a young chickie anymore and I can't eat all the salty stuff like I used too. It's a hard thing to cut back on the foods you like so I'm just gonna take it one day at a time :) Oh and I won't ever give up steamed crabs I will just have too have them go easy on the Old Bay Seasoning.......... hehe....

HTMommy
by on May. 11, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Good luck hon, its a life changer, but anything you put your mind to you can achieve

Quoting snuggiewoogie:

Quoting HTMommy:

Thank you sweetie for all your idea's. I will just have to be more careful and try to read the labels more. I am not a young chickie anymore and I can't eat all the salty stuff like I used too. It's a hard thing to cut back on the foods you like so I'm just gonna take it one day at a time :) Oh and I won't ever give up steamed crabs I will just have too have them go easy on the Old Bay Seasoning.......... hehe....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)