Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

I need some idea's..........

Posted by   + Show Post

I have really been struggling with my Blood Pressure lately. I'm on meds but everytime I eat sodium it makes it go up. My question is What can I eat for lunch other then Lunchmeats or Frozen Lean Cuisisne's,  Soups, that are tasty but not too loaded up with Sodium. Please don't say Salad's I like them I usually will have one with dinner.lol.... Any Idea's of something good for lunch? Today I'm thinking of a Bagel with Cream Cheese I think that's too terrible. We'll see!!

frustrated

by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Replies (11-20):
snuggiewoogie
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Do what I do and switch to all sugar! Nah....There has got be a cookbook or some website that will give you some yummy ideas instead of all those bland ones.

That stinks about your blood pressure! Is that hereditary?

Yeah, unfortunately it is. All my relatives have had it........Yucky!!

betsystipo
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Instead of salty things, can you go spicey?  I love taking shrimp or chicken breasts and sauteeing them w/ a tiny bit of olive oil and franks red hot.  then I use the Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese salda dressing - over a salad yes, but its really very different!  I love my salads, but I do need to switch them up sometimes!

snuggiewoogie
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Quoting betsystipo:

Instead of salty things, can you go spicey?  I love taking shrimp or chicken breasts and sauteeing them w/ a tiny bit of olive oil and franks red hot.  then I use the Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese salda dressing - over a salad yes, but its really very different!  I love my salads, but I do need to switch them up sometimes!

It might be worth a shot I'm really having a bad day with my blood pressure. I have taken 2 of my pills and it's still not comming down that much.  Hopefully tommorow will be better ;)

Charli627
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:19 PM
Lol

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Do what I do and switch to all sugar! Nah....There has got be a cookbook or some website that will give you some yummy ideas instead of all those bland ones.

That stinks about your blood pressure! Is that hereditary?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charli627
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Im sorry youre dealing with this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Quoting snuggiewoogie:

Quoting CoeyG:

I have salads for lunch and dinner.  I love them.  Bagels are very high in sodium by the way.  (I know because I have to watch my sodium).  I read labels on everything I purchase.  If you still use table salt, toss it.  If you have cucumbers you can slice some up and with some Miracle whip or if you prefer mayo you can make cucumber sandwiches...of course you would have to have a low sodium bread.  Lightly breaded or unbreaded broised fish is good...don't use salt to seasons, use lemon.  Any vegetables either raw or steamed are good for lunch.  But don't use table salt.  

I never use the Salt Shaker. Bagels are high really! Ugh! I have really got to start watching this. I like salad but sometimes I want something else. We'll there is always Peanut Butter and Jelly. lol....

Peanut butter can be high in sodium as well.  If you need to watch your sodium you need to start reading labels.  If you use butter/margarine look for one low in sodium, condensed soups, even the low sodium ones have a lot of sodium in them.  But yes, breads are usually very high in sodium.  American Cheese is very high in sodium as well...most cheeses are, read labels, the harder cheeses are usually lower in sodium than the "softer" ones.  Hot dogs and "lunch" meats are super high in sodium.  Anything with preservatives usually mean high in sodium because it is a preservative.  

Browncoat4eva
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Quoting betsystipo:

Yes, exactly... I like to switch it up a lot too,and I use all kinds of spices & herbs to bring flavor to food without having to add extra fat & salt.

Pre-packaged foods are going to be higher in sodium, so it's always better off just making a chicken breast or fish fillet or something like that and seasoning it up.

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

Browncoat4eva
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Sure, I love to cook for people... baking

Quoting CoolMommyofboys:

Can I come eat lunch at your house? That sounds so good!!

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

I eat:

Hummus sandwiches or wraps (home-made; so cheap & easy in the blender). My fave, I have it about 3/4 times per week. You can make a batch in 10 minutes, it'll last the week. You can even season it up with so many other things you won't miss the salt.

Egg white omelet. I stuff it with a bag of mixed frozen veggies (I roast them a few minutes in some foil under the broiler to give them flavor).

I also sometime make a batch of mini quiches stuffed with veggies for the week, and dip into them. They're easy to grab on the go.

Egg salad in a sandwich or on crackers.

Tuna fish. Don't put in mayo; use light or FF ranch dressing.

I like a little platter to pick on with cheese (any kind-- from cottage cheese to brie), raw veggies, fruits & crackers.

I like to make home-made soups in big quantity and freeze them in quart sized containers. I'll take them out for lunch or dinner whenever I want. I don't like canned soup.

Once per month or so I make a big pot of beans and freeze them in small containers. Then I have them for lunch with rice.

Dinner leftovers.

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

Browncoat4eva
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Quoting snuggiewoogie:

Quoting CoeyG:

I have salads for lunch and dinner.  I love them.  Bagels are very high in sodium by the way.  (I know because I have to watch my sodium).  I read labels on everything I purchase.  If you still use table salt, toss it.  If you have cucumbers you can slice some up and with some Miracle whip or if you prefer mayo you can make cucumber sandwiches...of course you would have to have a low sodium bread.  Lightly breaded or unbreaded broised fish is good...don't use salt to seasons, use lemon.  Any vegetables either raw or steamed are good for lunch.  But don't use table salt.  

I never use the Salt Shaker. Bagels are high really! Ugh! I have really got to start watching this. I like salad but sometimes I want something else. We'll there is always Peanut Butter and Jelly. lol....

Unless you're buying low sodium peanut butter,,, PB generally has a lot of salt.

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

snuggiewoogie
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

Quoting betsystipo:

Yes, exactly... I like to switch it up a lot too,and I use all kinds of spices & herbs to bring flavor to food without having to add extra fat & salt.

Pre-packaged foods are going to be higher in sodium, so it's always better off just making a chicken breast or fish fillet or something like that and seasoning it up.

Yeah I'll have to give it a shot. I really like sodium too much......lol....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN