Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Is anyone Vegan?  If so, did you choose to do it bc of health, animal rights or something else?  I've recently been thinking of it for health benefits.  I just think I'll miss my big juicy burgers sometimes....and pizza....and ice cream....ohhhh I'm just not sure.

by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Replies (21-30):
CoeyG
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Quoting snotnosebrat8:

You have to take a B12 supplement. There is nothing in nature that gives you a substantial amount of that vitamin outside of animal products. Look it up. And I'm not talking about 'added' or 'fortified' products with B12.  I mean occuring in nature.

I know a number of Vegans personally who don't take B12...and they are extremely healthy...one runs marathons and has participated in a few triathlons as well.  Eat the right foods and you don't need supplements...period.

betsystipo
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:49 PM
Thanks. I've actually never heard of pescatarian!

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

Quoting betsystipo:

Thanks Everyone.  I think I'm gonna start by just cutting back on the meats.  I should say I'll probabally be more Vegetarian, bc I will not give up my ice creams, yogurts, etc.  I love my fish, and since we go out often and  go away alot, I think its an easier lifestyle to live.  

Actually, no fish makes you a pescatarian; vegetarians don't eat any meat, including the meat of shell fish and seafood.

I only point it out because a lot of people will say they're vegetarian and then order chicken broth soup or eat fish... that confuses other people, so when a real vegetarian comes along and asks, "is there meat in this," people say "no." Or people invite their vegetarian friends to their wedding and offer a fish option instead of a non-meat option. Because they don't realize that broths or fish or shrimp counts as meat... so if you're eating fish it's best not to identify as a vegetarian.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I cut back on red meat, I don't like the taste of chicken because of all the crap they pump into them these days.  I enjoy turkey and fish though, but mostly veggies...fresh or frozen, I had the canned crap

pampire
by on May. 17, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Google "flexitarian".  It's a good starting place.

snotnosebrat8
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:38 PM
There will be long term effects if you deplete your b12. Period.

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting snotnosebrat8:

You have to take a B12 supplement. There is nothing in nature that gives you a substantial amount of that vitamin outside of animal products. Look it up. And I'm not talking about 'added' or 'fortified' products with B12.  I mean occuring in nature.

I know a number of Vegans personally who don't take B12...and they are extremely healthy...one runs marathons and has participated in a few triathlons as well.  Eat the right foods and you don't need supplements...period.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Browncoat4eva
by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:45 PM

B12 is one of those funny vitamins that don't work the same with every person. It stores up in the body and gets recycled. It can take almost 20 years to be depleted.

Also, daily recommended dosage is very, very low... if you're taking a decent multi-vitamin with B12 and eating things like tempah & sea veggies, you're good.

Even some meat eaters don't absorb B12 through food, they live on supplements. It's no different with vegans.

Quoting snotnosebrat8:

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting snotnosebrat8:

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

garjain
by on May. 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Our family is vegetarian, dairy and eggs are fine. For us it's relious, ethical, family thing. We are Indians, no one in our families (both mine and my husbands) have ever eaten any kind of meat or fish. That's how we are raised. Initially when we moved to US, it was difficult for us, but now we are quite use to of finding what we need and also you find more options for vegetarians. 

snotnosebrat8
by on May. 18, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

B12 is one of those funny vitamins that don't work the same with every person. It stores up in the body and gets recycled. It can take almost 20 years to be depleted.

Also, daily recommended dosage is very, very low... if you're taking a decent multi-vitamin with B12 and eating things like tempah & sea veggies, you're good.

Even some meat eaters don't absorb B12 through food, they live on supplements. It's no different with vegans.

Quoting snotnosebrat8:

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting snotnosebrat8:

Correct.  My whole argument is that  it brings it to question that you have to supplement it.  Like you said, multivitamins.  I'm not arguing that veganism can't be great for some.  Just because it sucked for me doesn't mean others can't thrive on it.  I was just giving my opinion on it.  But the B12 not occuring in nourishing amounts outside of animal products is fact, not my opinion.  And yes, you are correct, it is one of those vitamins you can coast on for a while if you have it built up.  But you don't want to run the risk of depleting it bc it will give you big problems.  This coming from someone that has neurological problems that was exasperated by depletion.  But I will say the accusation that I just wasn't eating healthy enough if laughable.  If you know me, which yall don't :)  I'm super health conscious. And followed Dr. McDougall's diet and suggestion to a T as well as others.  It just didn't work for me and I'm now a big advocate of a more less grains, more grassfed meat and veg.  I'm a big believer in Body Ecology and Nourishing Traditions.  Anyhoo, I do love a good  debate none the less :)  Have a great Friday ladies!

CoeyG
by on May. 18, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Quoting snotnosebrat8:

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting snotnosebrat8:

And there will be long term effects if you continue to eat foods that contain fat.  Period.  And when did I say that I didn't eat foods or take B 12...I said i knew other's who didn't.  Talk about reading what isn't there...

snotnosebrat8
by on May. 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting snotnosebrat8:

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting snotnosebrat8:

And there will be long term effects if you continue to eat foods that contain fat.  Period.  And when did I say that I didn't eat foods or take B 12...I said i knew other's who didn't.  Talk about reading what isn't there...

What?  I think you got me wrong.  It was not my intention to insinuated you didn't eat foods or take B12.  I meant "you" the collective, not "you" personally.  And I completely disagree that eating food that contain fats is a problem.  It's the KIND of fats you consume.  Don't take it personal.  I'm not.  Just healthy debate :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)