Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Meet Kingston, a 4-Year-Old with Multiple Disabilities - But No Diagnosis

Posted by   + Show Post

Kingston is a smiling, adorable 4-year-old, and at first glance you might not suspect he was different from a typical preschooler. But this little boy has multiple disabilities which have not yet been attributed to any particular cause.

Despite the lack of a diagnosis, Kingston's mom, nanny and a team of therapists and teachers work with him every day to help him master the tasks most of us take for granted, like using utensils, getting dressed and brushing our teeth.

Has your child - or another child you know - suffered from a disability or delay that required intensive therapy?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on May. 17, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Replies (41-50):
Ballad
by on May. 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM

My ex husband had to wait a very long time to get a diagnosis of his progressing disease, which turned out to be an extremely rare neurological problem.  It's hard when there's no definitive diagnosis because getting help, like from Social Security Income or Medicaid, is almost impossible.  I wish the mom all the best of luck.

kimber2465
by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM

this is my daughter krista- she will be 26 next week. we don't have a diagnosis for her - in spite of having her tested when she was younger. she has a hodge poge. she is a very sweet, loving, happy. the only thing that suck with not having a dx was/is fighting with the insurace company. thankfully most of the school districted that we had lived in were great. there were only a couple that we had to really put your foot down to get her help.( this is at her dance two sat.ago after special olympic track and field)

VintageWife
by on May. 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM

He's a beautiful child. Always so happy :) Bless his mom for getting him whatever help he needs.

Our oldest has ADHD/ODD/etc. He is more than a handful pretty much 24/7. Definitely stressful with him around on top of his dad having Asperger's. You know what it's like to have a defiant overly active child around a person that is anti-social? Not fun :/ They don't understand eachother.

VintageWife
by on May. 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM

She's beautiful :) 

Quoting kimber2465:

this is my daughter krista- she will be 26 next week. we don't have a diagnosis for her - in spite of having her tested when she was younger. she has a hodge poge. she is a very sweet, loving, happy. the only thing that suck with not having a dx was/is fighting with the insurace company. thankfully most of the school districted that we had lived in were great. there were only a couple that we had to really put your foot down to get her help.( this is at her dance two sat.ago after special olympic track and field)

kimber2465
by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM

thank u!-lol i forgot she also has her new glasses on- they are pink with with little flowers on the sides. also with krista , we can relate to kingston. this is how she was/is. we worked really hard to get her to where she is today. with out having a dx the school will use mentally delay. we have thought about having her tested again- since so much more is known now but i think we have ruled it out. 

Quoting VintageWife:

Quoting kimber2465:

reddecker
by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I have a soon to be 15yr old step son with Sturge Weber Syndrome. We currently don't have much contact with him due to his bm, but we are working on changing that through the courts. He has had more surgeries in his lifetime than I care to ever have, he does not walk or communicate verbally.

VintageWife
by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

They look similar to mine but mine are maroon and the things on the side can be switched out. I have plain colored ones in right now but the other set is pink rhinestones. 

Quoting kimber2465:

thank u!-lol i forgot she also has her new glasses on- they are pink with with little flowers on the sides

Quoting VintageWife:

Quoting kimber2465:

baileymarie723
by on May. 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this
She definately is an amazing little girl! With all she's been through you would think she would have a dull personality, but she is hilarious! She isn't even my niece since she is my ex's sister's daughter, but she is my DD's cousin so I call her my niece anyway. She's my little Hanna Bean.

Quoting Charizma77:

Quoting baileymarie723:

My DD's cousin has some medical problems and they can't figure out what is causing them. She is 5 years old, but she has the mentality of a 2 or 3 year old. She can walk, but she doesn't talk. She had acid reflux so bad when she was 2 or 3 that she can't eat solids because it damaged her esophagus so bad that it hurts her to try, and they actually had to seal the flap that opens and closes in your stomach that allows acid and all that stuff out of your stomach, like when you are sick it's that flap that opens that lets you throw up, so with that flapped sealed shut they had to put a little hole in her belly and insert what they call a "button" so that if she gets sick or has gas where she has to burp her mom has to open this "button" and that is how it helps her. When she gets the slightest cold she has to be montiored very closely because sometimes she ends up having to be hospitalized for weeks at a time because of it. She had the lenses of her eyes removed at age 2 I believe, and she has cataracts and glucoma. All of this happened to her before age 3. She has had more surgeries in her 5 years of life than most adults have had in their lifetime! She is one of the sweetest girls I have ever met! Here is a picture of her.

Shes beautiful, breaks my heart to here what all she's been through.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
betsystipo
by on May. 21, 2012 at 8:12 PM

What a sweet little boy

SimplyErathy
by on May. 27, 2012 at 3:49 PM

my ds has spd along with a few other diagnosis, he receives speech, feeding, physical, and occupational therapy each twice a week. he also has a heart defect with a team of cardiologist, internal tibia torsion and flat feet so he wears AFO's and orthotics, he has asthma and is only daily treatments, and GERD. but ive been told by others here on cafemom he is not special needs because he "looks" fine. yall should do an episode on what people thinks qualifies as special needs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN