Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

does your kid have a cell phone and how old are they- for 15 and under

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:02 PM
  • 26 Replies

by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rachyoungmomof1
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:08 PM
I was 12 when I first got one. (that was only 5 years ago) My son is still in me, so he obviously doesn't have one. He'll probably get one when he can prove he's responsible. (Probably around 11-13, but that'll depend on him.)
Lilypie Maternity tickers
nzumbrun
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:14 PM
No!! My dd us 9 and wants one but she isn't getting one until she can pay the bill.
lauriebash
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Our boys got theirs when they were 11. That was the 1st year of middle school

CoeyG
by on May. 18, 2012 at 1:06 AM

My daughter didn't get her's until she could pay for the phone and her plan herself...she was 17

Browncoat4eva
by on May. 18, 2012 at 4:11 AM

I only give my kids cell phones for emergency if they'll be going off on their own somewhere without adult supervision; and even then I don't let them call friends to shoot the breeze.

Well, I do let them call friends-- I'm not a tyrant. Just not when they're out and should be paying attention, and not just for the sake of talking.

I'm very big on mindful living. If you're walking, walk. If you're shopping, shop. If you're driving, drive. If you want to chat with friends, go sit down and dial the number. But don't wander around doing things mindlessly with a phone stuck in your ear chattering away (I know some people do that-- no offense. Just not my style, not the values I want to pass on to my kids; your time is your own.). 

Live in the moment... that sort of stuff.

Once they're working, if they want to pay for cell phone service, they're free to do so.

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

TheJerseyGirl
by on May. 18, 2012 at 5:05 AM

My 17 and 15 year olds have them...my 11 year old doesnt

IncognitoOne
by on May. 18, 2012 at 5:10 AM

They're only 5 and 4, so no..lol.

They do know how to work speed-dial on mine and DH's phones though, so they do pick one up and call people occasionally (never without asking). If I'm not home, they'll call me. They call the grandparents and their uncle. If DH isn't home, they'll call him. 

Shari55
by on May. 18, 2012 at 7:29 AM

My youngest daughter was 12 when she got a Tracfone just for going to and from school,for emergencies only. She respected this and now my mother pays for the yearly minutes for her Tracfone, she is almost 18, and it is still just for emergencies( the child doesn't like texting or talking on the phone).

mhmomma
by on May. 18, 2012 at 7:33 AM
No they are only 6 and 9. I don't see them on the near future either. Kids are getting phones way too soon in my opinion. Why does a 7 year old need a phone?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhow
by on May. 18, 2012 at 8:33 AM

the oldest is 14 and paid for her own when 12 with the understanding she pay the bill and she does. the youngest is 11 and got one on her 11th birthday as a gift...with the understanding that she pays the bill, which she does.  they are in my name so the bill comes to me, I divide it all out, write them on separate paper(like a bill) and give theirs to them.  if I don't have the money in 5 days it goes up 5 dollars, if I don't have in 10 days I take the phone(s).  My oldest got nailed for $5 one time, the youngest has not (yet).  as much as we did not want them to have them we have to admit they are convenient when we all go to an amusement park or ball game or shopping...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN