Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Am I just worrying too much?

Posted by   + Show Post
My DS is 2 and loves the movie Cars and Cars 2. We have a routinue where we will watch one of those movies, sometimes both after his nap. After the movies are done I turn on the news and try to get some "grown up" tv time. Everytime I change it he throws a tantrum, tears and all. My DH and my mom has seen this and tell me to just to make sure he's safe and ignore his tantrum. After a while he will stop, but I am so worried that if I let him "cry it out" he'll have issues as an adult. Am I just being a over-worrying first time mom?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 17, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
TankGirlie
by on May. 18, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Thank you everyone. Lol. I am thinking a regime change is in order.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momamanda
by Member on May. 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Give him something else to do after movie time. Make a boredom box of toys you put in a box and only pull out sometimes. or play playdough or do a small craft. something to distract him from it. crying isn't going to hurt him.

chattinmom
by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM

When my boys were young i'd tell them "Elmo" had to take a nap and maybe later.  They would always forget.  My older son would stop throwing a fit when i walked away, my younger son would just continue to get madder and madder till i had to come calm him down.  Counting really slowly with him in my lap with eye contact helped.  I would change it up tho, and make him pick one movie, not both, and save the other one for later if he was good.

Juanita679
by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Lol

mopsmommy5
by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Maybe a tv somewhere else where he can have quiet time by himself to watch those two movies so you have that time top do other things. Like watch tv, do housework, read,... That way you both get some quiet time and tv time too!
CoeyG
by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Quoting mopsmommy5:

Maybe a tv somewhere else where he can have quiet time by himself to watch those two movies so you have that time top do other things. Like watch tv, do housework, read,... That way you both get some quiet time and tv time too!

He doesn't need to spend every waking moment in front of the telvision whether he likes a particular video or not, that is simply causing a major bad habit that will lead to worse problems as he gets older.  He needs to get into more active play.  Maybe find other mom's in the neighborhood and make play dates or, even for a couple of hours a couple times a week put him into a day care where he can get social interaction as well as physical activity and stop giving into the tantrums. 

TankGirlie
by on May. 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM
He is in Early Head Start for a couple of hours a few days a week so he is getting the social interaction. The only time the tv is on is for those two movies and the news. He is an extremely active boy and I give him plenty of time outside. I do appreciate the advise. Thank you.

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting mopsmommy5:

He doesn't need to spend every waking moment in front of the telvision whether he likes a particular video or not, that is simply causing a major bad habit that will lead to worse problems as he gets older.  He needs to get into more active play.  Maybe find other mom's in the neighborhood and make play dates or, even for a couple of hours a couple times a week put him into a day care where he can get social interaction as well as physical activity and stop giving into the tantrums. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on May. 21, 2012 at 1:38 PM

As long as he is safe and not harming himself, he is fine. CIO is when a baby is being ignored and allowed to scream for minutes/hours on end with noone showing them love. What you are doing is allowing a toddler to throw his tantrum so he can see he will not always choose what the family does. There's a difference :)

mOmma2ABoyNGirl
by on May. 21, 2012 at 1:39 PM
My children used to do that,we would watch the same Movies over and over,try to get him distracted and have him do something else,eventually he will forget about it,what other things does he like to do ?,when the Movie is over just shut it off and tell him it's time to do something else,if he tantrums let him tantrum,ignore it or he will continue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MB13
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM

That is what I was thinking.  One full length movie is an awful lot of TV time for a 2 year old each day, he should have other activities to occupy his time.

Quoting CoeyG:

Quoting mopsmommy5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)