Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Why do we observe Memorial Day?

Posted by on May. 20, 2012 at 6:20 PM
  • 6 Replies

I had to look it up after my ds just asked me:

Why Memorial Day Is Observed

Memorial Day honors the US men and women who died while in the military, serving their country. It is a day to remember all the people who have served - and are serving - in the armed forces; our surviving veterans; and to honor those who have died in past wars.

Memorial Day is a United States Federal holiday observed in most states on the last Monday in May (although its official date is May 30).

History of Memorial Day

The origins of the day lie in the American Civil War.
It began in 1868 (May 5), when members of the Grand Army of the Republic requested that their commander, Civil War General John A. Logan, decorate the graves of their fallen compatriots with flowers.

Memorial Day has since become the day on which the US honors the dead and fallen heroes of all its wars. (This is also why it is referred to as Decoration Day.)

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_we_observe_Memorial_Day#ixzz1vS1xRSsm

The PhOtObOoTh!  A FuN group full of
contests, challenges, showdowns etc........
If you Love Photography you will Love this!

by on May. 20, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Necie72
by on May. 20, 2012 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Being "sort of" a military kid (dad and uncles served in Vietnam) brother served and cousins and nephews currently serving, I knew the "gist" of it, but never knew it started with the Civial War... 

VintageWife
by on May. 20, 2012 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I knew that :) But then again, I'm a veteran, my husband is a disabled veteran, my brother and uncles and g'pa are veterans, etc...

veterans daypatrioticveterans daypatrioticveterans day

LoriAnn87
by Lori on May. 20, 2012 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I knew why we observerd Memorial day my dad served in Vietam and we always remind me and my brothers to never forget why we observerd this day, or july 4.

maciymommieof3
by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I had an idea it was honoring those who served our country. I just can't explain to him why its all about:

BBQ Pork Steaks

Corn on the Cobb

Potatoe Salad

Watermelon etc....                     :)

LoriAnn87
by Lori on May. 21, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Quoting maciymommieof3:

I had an idea it was honoring those who served our country. I just can't explain to him why its all about:

BBQ Pork Steaks

Corn on the Cobb

Potatoe Salad

Watermelon etc....                     :)

Some people forget the meaning of memorial day and think it's all about bbq, eating good food and being with friends and family. Memorial day is also the unoffical start to the summer.

Juanita679
by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM
bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN