Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Meet Oliver, a 12-Year-Old Born with Autonomic Dysfunction

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 3:18 PM
  • 6 Replies

It was six weeks after his birth before Oliver's parents suspected something was wrong with their newborn son. Doctors discovered he'd suffered a stroke in the womb, possibly a result of the miscarriage of his twin. The resulting brain injury is called Dysautonomia (Autonomic Dysfunction). 

Oliver is completely blind and his underdeveloped brain stem makes basic physical functions a challenge. In spite of all this, he is a happy, smiling and affectionate 12-year-old boy who's loved dearly by his family.

Oliver's mom says she wants people to see beyond his disabilities and medical hardships to get to know the wonderful boy he is. When you watched this video, what did you notice first - his special needs or his happy smile?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on May. 31, 2012 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Cafe AmyS
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I love how Oliver's mom said "Medical hardships don't define us".  

What a sweet, happy and well loved little boy.  If only all kids were so loved and made to feel so special!

BabyDreamer80
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Thankyou for sharing. What a beautiful boy and a wonderful family.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:47 PM

First I need to stop crying.

Since I have a special needs child, I know the deep love that a mother has for her disabled child. It's undescribable...and she is so right to say medical hardships dont define us. There is so much more to our children than their disabilities.

It's so easy to see the love in this family...what an inspiration they are to the rest of us!

Cafe AmyS
by Silver Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:42 PM

It was hard not to cry watching this one, wasn't it?  

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Since I have a special needs child, I know the deep love that a mother has for her disabled child. It's undescribable...and she is so right to say medical hardships dont define us. There is so much more to our children than their disabilities.

It's so easy to see the love in this family...what an inspiration they are to the rest of us!

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM

So far I've cried at ALL of them! LOL!

Quoting Cafe AmyS:

It was hard not to cry watching this one, wasn't it?  

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Myspace Comments       autism bright colors heart picture and wallpaper

jcmercedez
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Very touching story.  This could have been my story.  My son was a twin who died in utero, had a D & C and come to find out I was still preggers with him.  He's healthy.  My heart goes out to Oliver and his family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)