Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Is this something our kids should learn?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:04 AM
  • 8 Replies

Nope! No, you totally should not do that. At all!

Doing that is dumb, classless and ridiculous, and — fairly or unfairly — manages to take at least some of the shine off very cool crowd moments like this one, where Boston Celtics fans who stuck out the final minutes of a 19-point blowout remained in full through game's end to properly send their team off to Game 7:

See? That is a cool way to do your fan business. Friends helping friends, banding together to fight through how upset you are at having watched the Celtics catch a furious whipping, and choosing to express boosterism in a positive way rather than by throwing beer on the man who just legendarily sonned your whole crew.

[Johnny Ludden: Thunder's Kevin Durant ready to take center stage in NBA Finals]

Especially considering, as Friend of BDL @netw3rk noted Thursday night, literally that exact thingonce started a riot at a basketball game, and has started roughly 56 million smaller-scale melees as drinking establishments throughout these United States over the years. It is just a bad idea, all the way around, all the time.

As always, as ever, it is important to remember not to be a creep. Let's carry that lesson into our weekends, OK?

by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
nova.mommy
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I am not a basketball fan, but this is not the way to teach good sportsmanship to our children.

CoeyG
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't be at the game to begin with and I wouldn't be drinking a beer either.  So it doesn't matter to me...

nova.mommy
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I would not be at the game either and I don't drink(well once or twice a year).  I went to the local NFL team's games.  So am I surprised there are 'fans' that behave this way-NO(I hated the group of 20-somethings[I know they were 20-something because they could drink and the age to drink is 21] because everyother word was a curse/swear word and young children[6-10 years old] where sitting near by(with an adult).  

But what gets me is that a child or teen seeing this behavior(throwing a drink, beer or any other type) and will think it is ok to 'act' like this.

Charli627
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Quoting nova.mommy:

I am not a basketball fan, but this is not the way to teach good sportsmanship to our children.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this

this is also a good talking/teaching point for other children :) we can learn from others actions if we are taught right 

VintageWife
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Hey, twice in a night I quote you!

Quoting CoeyG:

I wouldn't be at the game to begin with and I wouldn't be drinking a beer either.  So it doesn't matter to me...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Quoting VintageWife:

Hey, twice in a night I quote you!

Quoting CoeyG:

We've got to stop meeting like this. 

maciymommieof3
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:43 PM

ditto...why can't they show some class like in football and dump gatorade?

Quoting Charli627:

Quoting nova.mommy:

The PhOtObOoTh!  A FuN group full of
contests, challenges, showdowns etc........
If you Love Photography you will Love this!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)