Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

What books are you reading?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:12 PM
  • 43 Replies

What's it about? What audience would you recommend it for?

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wordman60
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:55 AM

The Dark Is Rising series by Susan Cooper, which I am reading with my nieces and nephews (published in the early 1960s; was out of print until recently – I had to order it out of Canada to get copies for myself, my nieces and nephews).  The series is very well written, has an excellent story line, and makes the reader think.  This series is for children and adults of all ages.  Author is British, so text contains some British language which is easy to follow for non-British readers.  Like the Harry Potter and Charlie Bone series, the series is set in England, so it is a novelty for American readers.  Like the Harry Potter and Charlie Bone series, The Dark Is Rising series is also a tale of magic which focuses on a single individual whose gift is recognise by a powerful member of the magic community.  I will not spoil the story other than to tell potential readers that the series is well worth the money for the softback (paperback) or hardback versions, whichever you prefer.  Pick up the collection and prepare to spend a weekend sitting in your favourite chair reading the entire collection!  I guarantee it will be time well spent.  =)

simple smile

LivinDeadGurl
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM

I am reading A Game of Thrones.

It's a fantasy book....knights, kings, lords, suspense, romance....a little of everything. I normally don't like fantasy books, but I really like this one. It's the first on a series (and was made into the HBO show).

TugBoatMama
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:33 AM
The Last Time I Was Me.
Its about a woman who has endured the loss of a baby and the bitter end of a long relationship. She has a nervous breakdown and has to attend court ordered anger management classes. She quits her job and goes to stay at a remote B&B to sort out her life and this is where she makes some unlikely friends and learns that helping others may be the key to ending her suffering.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janet116
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:40 AM
Books by Tara French , mystery fiction set in Ireland, very well written with complex plots. believable characters and good dialogue . My husband said she is one of the few women writers who has has a first person male narrator who really sounds like a male.

Srongly recommended .
kiowaqueen
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:11 AM
Lol sad but I don't read any books... The only reading I do is my bible. Maybe one day I'll have time to read or maybe there will be more hours in a day lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ninipanini
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I'm reading The Baker's Wife by Erin Healy.

It's a mystery, not bad, very well-developed characters and intriquing plot.  I'm about halfway through the story.

snuggiewoogie
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Ok I just started reading 50 Shades Of Grey! Only read 2 chapters so far so good! I just could not resist....heehee!

wink

LoriAnn87
by Lori on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

The prefect husband by lisa gardener and for anyone who likes mystery thrills would like this book and any of ones of her books.

HiDi
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

bakingThe Betty Crocker Microwave Cook Book,& The Sharp Microwave Cook Book!!!!

VintageWife
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Quoting wordman60:

The Dark Is Rising series by Susan Cooper, which I am reading with my nieces and nephews (published in the early 1960s; was out of print until recently – I had to order it out of Canada to get copies for myself, my nieces and nephews).  The series is very well written, has an excellent story line, and makes the reader think.  This series is for children and adults of all ages.  Author is British, so text contains some British language which is easy to follow for non-British readers.  Like the Harry Potter and Charlie Bone series, the series is set in England, so it is a novelty for American readers.  Like the Harry Potter and Charlie Bone series, The Dark Is Rising series is also a tale of magic which focuses on a single individual whose gift is recognise by a powerful member of the magic community.  I will not spoil he story other than to tell potential readers that the series is well worth the money for the softback (paperback) or hardback versions, whichever you prefer.  Pick up the collection and prepare to spend a weekend sitting in your favourite chair reading the entire collection!  I guarantee it will be time well spent.  =)

simple smile

Sounds interesting! You really put thought into sharing that :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)