Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Indian Man Beheads Daughter in Rage Over Lifestyle

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 8:56 AM
  • 22 Replies

Indian Man Beheads Daughter in Rage Over Lifestyle

By PRAKASH BHANDARI Associated Press
JAIPUR, India June 18, 2012 (AP)

Police say a man upset over his daughter's lifestyle chopped her head off with a sword and then paraded it through his village before surrendering to authorities in western India.

Marble miner Ogad Singh's 20-year-old daughter had been living with her parents in the Rajasthani village of Dungarji after leaving her husband two years ago.

Police Superintendent Umesh Ojha says Singh was upset by his daughter having affairs with men, and became enraged when she eloped with one of them two weeks ago.

Ojha says Singh forced her to return home Sunday, and beheaded her Monday with a sword.

Rapidly modernizing India faces increasing social clashes as youths resist traditions like arranged marriage or limits on women venturing outside their parents' or husbands' homes.

The PhOtObOoTh!  A FuN group full of
contests, challenges, showdowns etc........
If you Love Photography you will Love this!

by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SSMalone
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM
thats crazy, but these days people do crazy things that lead to messing their own life up.
VintageWife
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM
So sad :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Quoting SSMalone:

thats crazy, but these days people do crazy things that lead to messing their own life up.

It isn't crazy in India.  It is a totally different culture, just because it isn't accepted here in the U.S. doesn't mean we have the right to impose our culture on other countries.  This is why the U.S. is despised around the world, so many of our people (politicians especially) are hell bent in "converting" the rest of the world to they way we live.  take a look around is it really working for us?  

VintageWife
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Crap...where's that violin when I need it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ihave1
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Sad, but not surprising.  Things like this happens a lot in India.  In some very remote villages in India people marry their children together.  It was band, but they still do it.  Im talking 3 & 5 year old getting married & then when they are at the right age the girl will be force to go live w/ her husband & his family.

Necie72
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Well, all I can say is, she probably knew it was going to happen...  I've worked closely with Indians, even dated one years ago.  I think we could learn a lot from them when it comes to a lot of their ways of living...  How many times do we here hate our in-laws??  LOL  Often times, these arranged marriages are set up in order to keep a family's wealth and can often times be beneficial and the family lives a "healthy" lifestyle...  There are the "bad" seeds because people in general can't all be happy go lucky, but the good ones outweigh the bad...  I've worked with Indian fathers who are of course strict with their girls.  As any and every father should be.  These girls grow to respect their fathers and their opinions and often times find a man (or the family finds a man) who will love and respect them as their father did.  True, they may not be "liberated" and be able to live a life like we as American women do, but that isn't always a bad thing...  Hell, if my father found me a man who is willing to "bring home the bread", make sure he supports our family, treats us right and makes sure he takes care of me and our children because he knows he'll have to answer to MY WHOLE FAMILY if he doesn't, what's wrong with that?  Check the statistics on Indian teen pregnancy...  I don't think there are any because it doesn't happen...  How about Indian teen drug and alcohol abuse?  Their crime rate??  I don't know about you, but I see a pattern here....  I'm speaking of the upper and middle class Indians, not the ones who live in poverty and remote villages...

On the other hand, what I do find "unfair" is that the men can basically do as they please.  If you ever watch A Wedding Story or shows like that, you'll see Indian men can marry Western women...  I don't think this happens the other way around...  It's just about forbidden...  Like I said, I dated a man from Bombay/Mumbai...  He even told me once that I wouldn't be able to "handle" India because I was spoiled...  it's SUPER hot there and riding a bike to get somewhere isn't my idea of a good time...  LOL  I also wouldn't be able to make sure I'm dressed properly and "obey" every thing he told me to do...

GirlWithANikon
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Poor women. Poor, poor women. When will men start evolving at a rate faster than backwards ?

WildCat73
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Oh My :(

GirlWithANikon
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Some people know they will be unjustly beaten or killed, suddenly that makes it ok?

Also, American teen pregnancy is actually higher in some stated that the average of the states teen pregnancy as a whole. Meaning they are more likely to be teen moms, says google.

I also hear pretty often of Idian crime in America, usually against women. But a few months back a some idians around my way beat a man to death over an annoyance then fled the crime scene.

Also, some people want love. I don't care how good of a provider a man is if you don't love him and he doesn't love you he is not worth ish. Not everyone cares about someone else supporting them above all else. Many women would even prefer to do that their dang self!

I am sure we could learn something from them, we can ALL learn something from each other. But I would not want to learn anything ytou listed, eek!

Quoting Necie72:

Well, all I can say is, she probably knew it was going to happen...  I've worked closely with Indians, even dated one years ago.  I think we could learn a lot from them when it comes to a lot of their ways of living...  How many times do we here hate our in-laws??  LOL  Often times, these arranged marriages are set up in order to keep a family's wealth and can often times be beneficial and the family lives a "healthy" lifestyle...  There are the "bad" seeds because people in general can't all be happy go lucky, but the good ones outweigh the bad...  I've worked with Indian fathers who are of course strict with their girls.  As any and every father should be.  These girls grow to respect their fathers and their opinions and often times find a man (or the family finds a man) who will love and respect them as their father did.  True, they may not be "liberated" and be able to live a life like we as American women do, but that isn't always a bad thing...  Hell, if my father found me a man who is willing to "bring home the bread", make sure he supports our family, treats us right and makes sure he takes care of me and our children because he knows he'll have to answer to MY WHOLE FAMILY if he doesn't, what's wrong with that?  Check the statistics on Indian teen pregnancy...  I don't think there are any because it doesn't happen...  How about Indian teen drug and alcohol abuse?  Their crime rate??  I don't know about you, but I see a pattern here....  I'm speaking of the upper and middle class Indians, not the ones who live in poverty and remote villages...

On the other hand, what I do find "unfair" is that the men can basically do as they please.  If you ever watch A Wedding Story or shows like that, you'll see Indian men can marry Western women...  I don't think this happens the other way around...  It's just about forbidden...  Like I said, I dated a man from Bombay/Mumbai...  He even told me once that I wouldn't be able to "handle" India because I was spoiled...  it's SUPER hot there and riding a bike to get somewhere isn't my idea of a good time...  LOL  I also wouldn't be able to make sure I'm dressed properly and "obey" every thing he told me to do...

CoeyG
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Quoting GirlWithANikon:

Some people know they will be unjustly beaten or killed, suddenly that makes it ok?

Also, American teen pregnancy is actually higher in some stated that the average of the states teen pregnancy as a whole. Meaning they are more likely to be teen moms, says google.

I also hear pretty often of Idian crime in America, usually against women. But a few months back a some idians around my way beat a man to death over an annoyance then fled the crime scene.

Also, some people want love. I don't care how good of a provider a man is if you don't love him and he doesn't love you he is not worth ish. Not everyone cares about someone else supporting them above all else. Many women would even prefer to do that their dang self!

I am sure we could learn something from them, we can ALL learn something from each other. But I would not want to learn anything ytou listed, eek!

Quoting Necie72:

This did not happen i the states.  It has nothig to do with the laws in the U.S.  This happened in India therefore the laws in INdia prevail as does the culture of India.  They don't have to follow our ways in India be it culturally or via laws.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)