Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Have you added up what your Back To School stuff is gonna cost?

I have a son going into middle school and to my surprise the list is sooooooooooo long..

clorox wipes

jump drive

special calculator etc......

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Replies (21-30):
JonesMama
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Ds is going into 2nd grade. So far I've spent about $15 on his supplies. I still need a few more things...three 24packs of Made in USA #2 pencils, 4 black fine point Expo dry erase markers, 4 folders (was waiting to find out if he needed different colors...the list said 5 folders but he picked a cool car one already), and a set of math flash cards. So maybe $25 total once I get those?

outstandingLove
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:35 AM
6 moms liked this

So glad we homeschool. :-) I'll just wait until after school starts and most things go on clearance.

Spedteacher123
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:38 AM
11 moms liked this
As a teacher, I can tell you that with budget cuts, many schools cannot afford Kleenex, cleaning supplies, etc. Wouldn't you rather send those items, than not have those in the classroom at all? It's tough times, but overall, under $200 per yr for your child to go to school full time is not a bad deal. Last school year, I still spent $1,500 of my own money on my class because the budget just wasn't there. But I didn't complain because it helped my students.
praisinghim2day
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I live in Lincoln, Nebraska and LPS (Lincoln Public Schools) only require kids to bring a back pack.  That's it.  The school system here provides everything... pencils, paper, pens, rulers... you name it.  Teachers may ask for a box or two of Kleenex from each family (if the family is willing and/or able) to provide for the entire class to use, but  that's it.  Since LOTS of kids bring in those 3 packs of tissues and many times there are some left over, I normally ask what the teacher needs for his or her own supplies (reward stickers or whatever) and supply that. :) 

sweetsurprise13
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:57 AM

My son has a pretty long list for vpk and it ask for some stuff for the teachers but I have been watching the sales and using coupons and the dollar tree for stuff that is not brand specific and it will not be that bad. 

I know for big price stuff to check all the sales and some stores give gift cards if you purchase so much and that can be used for other supplies and check the sales and use coupons for the other basic stuff .  good luck!

sweetsurprise13
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Way to go on getting stuff for your class. I have heard from teachers how they have to buy their own copy paper and basically everything so I know it helps out to bring that stuff in and to bring extra especially this time of the year with all the sales and coupons out.  Good luck with the new school year!

Quoting Spedteacher123:

As a teacher, I can tell you that with budget cuts, many schools cannot afford Kleenex, cleaning supplies, etc. Wouldn't you rather send those items, than not have those in the classroom at all? It's tough times, but overall, under $200 per yr for your child to go to school full time is not a bad deal. Last school year, I still spent $1,500 of my own money on my class because the budget just wasn't there. But I didn't complain because it helped my students.

mnmo3bb
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I can't believe the things they are adding to the school list! Things the children won't even use and are for the teacher. It sucks that the teacher has to pay for things but it doesn't need to fall on the individual parents/teacher. The schools need to figure out how to budget the money better! They should be getting supplies free/cheap in bulk!!!!!!!!!!

jessi2girls
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:15 AM

not including school clothes.. only about $20 worth of things.. but she's only going into pre-k.. lol.

Scarred19
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Nope. Munchkin isn't in school yet. :P

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath Wedding tickers

praisinghim2day
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Of course donations are tax deductable, but you have to have a certain amount in donations in order for it to be tax deductable.  It's what? $10-$15?  I'm not going to worry about it. Not worth it.  Kleenex isn't considered a necessity for classrooms.  I only have one left in elementary school anyway, I also have a middle schooler and a high schooler.  The elementary teachers are the only ones who ask for it.  My youngest also picks out a new classroom game at the end of the school year for his teacher to play with the next year's students :)  I don't see donating to a classroom as an "issue that needs to be fixed".  that seems petty... possibly even a little selfish or greedy.  But that's just me.

Quoting mnmo3bb:

It shouldn't be that way! Do you at least get it tax deductable? Not like that really makes up for it but I don't see why schools don't get deals on thing by buying in bulk and why this issue isn't being fixed.  

Quoting praisinghim2day:

I live in Lincoln, Nebraska and LPS (Lincoln Public Schools) only require kids to bring a back pack.  That's it.  The school system here provides everything... pencils, paper, pens, rulers... you name it.  Teachers may ask for a box or two of Kleenex from each family (if the family is willing and/or able) to provide for the entire class to use, but  that's it.  Since LOTS of kids bring in those 3 packs of tissues and many times there are some left over, I normally ask what the teacher needs for his or her own supplies (reward stickers or whatever) and supply that. :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN