Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

It's about the shooter...James Holmes in Colorado

James Eagan Holmes Facts

• The 1985 comic book, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, contains a scene in which a lunatic kills people in a movie theater.
  • Columbine High School (1999 shooting) is 12 miles from the movie theater.
  • Holmes was wearing a ballistic helmet and vest, ballistic leggings, throat and groin protector, a gas mask and black tactical gloves, armed with the three weapons.
  • Holmes had painted his hair red and said he was The Joker, the arch-nemesis of Batman.
  • Holmes bought a ticket to the midnight show and entered the theater with the crowd.  Holmes then allegedly propped open an exit door after the movie started, put on protective gear, then started shooting.
  • One witness stated seeing a white male ON A CELL PHONE prop open the emergency exit shortly after the movie started, and just before the shooting began.
  • Most of the victims shot were those standing up and running out of the theater, with far less seated moviegoers being hit, and none ducking down to the floor being hit.
  • Holmes reportedly fled to the parking lot after the shooting spree, then was confronted by 25 police officers and taken into custody.
  • Holmes asked for an attorney and invoked his right to remain silent.
  • Another .40-caliber handgun with a cache of ammunition was found in Holmes' 2-door white car, which was parked in the movie theater parking lot behind the rear exit.
  • The guns were purchased in May, June and July at Gander Mountain Guns shops and at Bass Pro shops in Colorado.
  • May 22, bought a Glock pistol in Aurora, CO.  May 28, bought a Remington shotgun in Denver, CO.  Early June, bought a .223 caliber Smith & Wesson rifle in Thornton, CO.  July 6, bought a second Glock in Denver, CO.
  • At least one of of Holmes' gun purchases was recorded by a video surveillance camera.
  • Holmes' 3rd-floor apartment (1690 Paris Street) is 4 miles from the movie theater in Aurora.
  • Neighbors described Holmes as a recluse and a loner, who always kept curtains closed and lights off at night.
  • Police began searching Holmes' apartment building at 2:00 am, waking the residents for questioning and orders to evacuate.
  • Police found jars of chemicals (flammable or explosive material) in Holmes' booby-trapped apartment.  Officers found trip-wires attached to 1-liter plastic bottles filled with a substance.
  • Police found 'disturbing' pictures in Holmes' apartment.
  • Holmes had left a techno song (to repeat in a loop from midnight to 1:00 am) blaring in the apartment.  Neighbors called police about the noise shortly after midnight, but the song was left to play until automatically shutting off at 1:00.
  • Holmes received a traffic ticket for speeding in Aurora, CO in October, 2011.
  • Holmes had no web presence on Facebook, LinkedIn, MySpace nor Twitter.
  • James Eagan Holmes, born December 13, 1987 in San Diego County, California.  Male, Caucasian, 6'3".
  • Holmes' father, Robert Milton Holmes, is a manager for a software company.
  • Holmes' mother, Arlene Rosemary Holmes, is a nurse.
  • Holmes' family belongs to a Presbyterian church.
  • Holmes has a younger sister, a guitarist and student at San Diego State University.
  • Holmes was raised upper middle-class in suburban San Diego, California.
  • Holmes played junior varsity soccer at Westview High School in San Diego and was a cross-country runner.  He graduated in 2006.
  • San Diego Police spokeswoman Lt. Andra Brown said Holmes' family members were surprised at the connection of Holmes to the Colorado shooting.
  • San Diego County Superior Court spokeswoman Karen Dalton said there were no records found under Holmes' name, not even for a traffic ticket.
  • Riverside County District Attorney spokesman John Hall said prosecutors have no criminal record for Holmes.
  • Holmes graduated with honors from the University of California-Riverside in Spring 2010 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Neuroscience.  Holmes was a member of several honors societies, including Phi Beta Kappa and Golden Key.
  • Holmes had trouble finding a job after earning a master's degree from UC Riverside.  Depressed, Holmes took a part-time job at McDonald's before deciding to earn another degree in Colorado.
  • From Fall 2011 to Summer 2012, Holmes was enrolled in the Ph.D. neuroscience program at the University of Colorado-Denver.  
  • In July, he was in the process of voluntary withdrawal from the program, and his card-entry access to university research facilities was terminated.
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM
Replies (21-30):
EireLass
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:13 PM

In the comic books, I think Detective Gordan has red hair/mustache.

Quoting langleytwins824:

that's what I kept thinking!!!
Quoting pampire:

The Joker has green hair.

snuggiewoogie
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Very sad and very senseless..... What the .... was this guy thinking?

MrsNewman
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Why didnt an alarm sound when he opened the emergency door?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Only thing is a man named Jon was killed while laying on top on his girlfriend protecting her from the gun fire.
So that statement that no one on the floor was killed is wrong.
Bethsunshine
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 3:03 PM
He will plead insanity and get a slap on the wrist and get fed and housed on the taxpayers dime. I don't know why the police didn't kill him when they had the chance.
mamamiajk
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Madmen are everywhere these days. Such a tradjic loss.

bellawomen
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM

online social sites have nothing to do with someone's mental status.  Some killers use social media to find their victims, some killers never use it.  My guess is he just had not interest in it because his intelligence level was so high that he just had an issue finding people on his level to socialize with.  Look around on Facebook, you will find very few doctors or other highly intelligent people on there.  Not that people there are stupid, but people have different needs.  Someone with high intelligence get their kicks from mental stimulation not social stimulation.  That would not be labeled as odd behavior for someone of high intelligence.  I haven't heard of his intelligence level, but I have heard people make comments on it.

Quoting maciymommieof3:

Yes...to me it does seem odd. Did he not engage in the social community at all, or do people only care about themselves that much?

Quoting VintageWife:

Isn't it odd that noone seemed to think he was "off"?

CoeyG
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting maciymommieof3:

No...but your more social than you think, you engage here very well with others...

this guy was really "quiet" as I am learning...

Quoting CoeyG:

Why would being quiet indicate that he was "off"?  Many many years ago I was the "quiet" type, I kept to myself quite a bit in fact I still do for the most part, always have favored animals over humans.  That doesn't mean I'm getting an arsenol and headed to the local theatre.  

But when I was his age I wasn't all that social.  I went to parties only for the drinking and the drugs, not for the people.  After I got what I wanted I would leave never speaking to anyone, I lived alone and kept to myself.  i rarely spoke to anyone.  A very few people knew my phone number.  Yes now I am socia...and now I am almost 59 years old as well.  

rosebud727
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Do you know how hard it is to get someone evaluated? Just because you think they may be "off" doesn't give another person the right to have them evaluated. 

His mother trying to seek this type of action against her adult son would be very tough, they have to prove first they are a risk to themselves as well as others, until yesterday he didn't pose a risk against anyone.

Unfortunately he just snapped. Why? Who knows...he's not talking right now.

Quoting EireLass:

In news stories, I've read that his mother knew right away that it was him, and had no doubt he would do this. So she obviously, knowing her child......knew things were not 'right'. But like most people......they won't take action with family members mental issues due to embarrassment, guilt, exposure, etc.

Quoting maciymommieof3:

Yes...to me it does seem odd. Did he not engage in the social community at all, or do people only care about themselves that much?

Quoting VintageWife:

Isn't it odd that noone seemed to think he was "off"?

MomTeacher621
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not reading all the posts to this thread as I don't have time, but what in the world is the point of including info. about his mother, father, their occupations, his sister, her college, and the type of church they go to? It wasn't their fault or choice and all this does is make it easier for them to become targets of those looking for revenge.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)