Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Leaving a child in the car while you are in the store

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:39 PM
  • 45 Replies

I would like to know why some parents think it is perfectly ok to leave their child in the car while they run into the grocery store?  This is the third incident where a child has been found in a car at my grocery store.  The clerks had to page the parents to go get their child out.  These are small children still in a car seat. I am in Califronia and we are having a heat wave..

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
earthangel1967
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I had 5 kids and I understand thinking "its only a minute and how hard it is to haul kids in the store" but the consequences of taking chances are unthinkable and I always brought all mine in with me (It only take a minute for them to get hurt or kidapped too besides dying in the heat or cold)

YVONNE

Rachyoungmomof1
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:49 PM
If the child is older and is sitting in air conditioning, then I don't really see a problem. But if we're talking about a small child, then I definitely agree with you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charli627
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I always bring my kids in with me or i go to the store alone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM

If I don't feel like bringing my little one in with me to the store I am thankful I have the option to leave him home with his older brothers.

LuvMyBoy08
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Because some parents are stupid
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-StarsChildren-
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Never did it with my DS when he was littler (he's 6 now), and I still wont except at one place.

I've known the owner for 18 years, it's a mom and pop market, he has security camera's everywhere (parking lot holds maybe 10 cars, gas pumps hold 4). I know right where the cameras are and park so they pick up my car, and I can check the security footage while I am paying for the gas...in that instance, I am comfortable leaving DS in the car because 1) I know it's on a camera, 2) I can pay for the gas quickly (owner usually knows before I even go in that I have DS with me so he gets me paid quickly) and 3) it would be a toss up if the owner made it out the door first or I did and beat someone if they tried to get in the car (windows, all 4, are only cracked 2-3 inches and doors locked --- owner keeps a bat under the counter as well and has told me before that if I need it, to grab it).

Edit: it's also only in the instance of running in to pay for gas... if I am picking food up from the deli, I order a head and it's a run in and out thing again... if I am shopping, DS goes in with me.

LucyHarper
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Depends on the age of the child. My sister is 13, I'm her guardian, she knows not to mess with the car controls and what could happen if she did, she knows how to stay in the car and how to safely cross the parking lot if need be, she knows what to do if she got too hot or too cold, so she is allowed to wait in the car if she wishes. My four year old son on the other hand would not be able to safely cross the parking lot, may not know what to do if he got too hot or too cold, and while he is good at following directions, hes still four and makes accidental mistakes, so he may not wait in the car, he comes in. 

jenettyshome
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:34 AM

When my oldest was about 12 I could feel safe about leaving him in the car, with the air on, while I ran in to get something quick - usually a gallon of milk.  At the gas station, because I usually pay with cash, I'd leave my kids in the car for a brief (what, 2 min's?) to pay the cashier.  Otherwise, no way!  I cry when I see dogs left in the car, too. 

Neale Donald Walsch - "Mine is not a better way, mine is merely another way."

bhow
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Wow!  Blows my mind to hear this stuff.  I had my kids cause I wanted kids and have only recently considered the 15 yr. old to be a pain in my ass!!  LOL!  Just kidding!  The feeling leaves when she shuts up!  Any how, we wish she would spend more time with us cause we love our kids and are proud of them.

Bradensmommy719
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Crazy, in co it is illegal and if you get caught you pay a fine and take parenting classes, even if it is a quick run into the gas station.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN