Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Deaf parents? Deaf children? piog

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM
  • 33 Replies

I know I can' be the only ASL user on this entire site. I'm not Deaf and my daughter isn't Deaf but I'm an aspiring ASL interpreter and my daughter is quickly picking up on the language. I'm involved in my local Deaf Community and I was hoping to meet some new friends/ ASL users on here. But I'm kind of taken a back that there are NO Deaf Mom groups or CODA or Mom of Deaf children groups on here. Not one. There is one group I am a part of Signing Mommies but it's inactive. So.... Where is everyone? lol

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM

You should start one!!

LexRi0709
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM
I want to learn ASL. I plan on taking a class at my college in the next year or so.

But as EireLass said, you should start a group!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe AmyS
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 4:58 PM

welcome

CoeyG
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I have about two years of ASL/Deaf Studies/Culture under my belt.  In fact I taught my daughter to sign before she could talk.   No I am not deaf, neither is my daughter.  I did lose 50% of my hearing in both ears as a child that was corrected by sugery.  Tht is waht sparked my interest in sign lanugage as I got older.  

CoeyG
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Quoting LexRi0709:

I want to learn ASL. I plan on taking a class at my college in the next year or so.

But as EireLass said, you should start a group!

I have this bookmarked when I need a "refresher"

http://lifeprint.com/

nzumbrun
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I am hard of hearing and learning asl. I wish there was an active group on here. I am in a rural area and we don't have a deaf community here. I also would like to become an interpreter while I have hearing left

nzumbrun
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:42 PM

if you start a group please let me know!!

StarryRain
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:27 PM
I majored in ASL in college. I still haven't taken my certification, but my kids are almost fluent. I have had deaf friends all of my life. And we thought my son was deaf in utero, but his ears cleared. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HTMommy
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM

uhm, I can't say I know where to help or point you. LOL I'm not, nor are my kids, I don't sign and neither do they. I always feared they would rely on signing more than speaking (and don't tell me this doesn't happen because its EXACTLY what my nephew did) so I didn't want to teach them. Plus, though yes its nice to have it known, we don't know a soul that is deaf, and therefore, not really relevant to us. HOWEVER, I do know a mom that is interested on the subject that I can connect you with if you want.

geekmommy84
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:09 PM

ME ME ME ME!!!! i would love to get in touch with ASL again!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN