Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

TTC at 40...have any of you here had any luck at this age?

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM
  • 42 Replies

I just turned 40 this week and my hubby and I are TTC our first together. I have a son from a previous marriage so this will be my second actually. 

I'm feeling kind of down because we've been at the TTC game for a year now with no success. We've done 3 IUI's and none of them were successful so now we're saving for IVF.

I guess I'm just looking for some words of encouragement. I'm beginning to feel like it might never happen for us and that would be such a shame. I desperatey want my hubby to have kids of his own.

If any of you have any encouraging words to share, they would be greatly appreciated.

by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shelly69
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I had my son at 38, my daughter at 40 & when i have this little girl I will be 43...

adrianne7291
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Quoting shelly69:

I had my son at 38, my daughter at 40 & when i have this little girl I will be 43...

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing.....it definitely gives me hope. :)

betsystipo
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Did you have trouble w/ your other child?  I had trouble getting pregnant at 30.  Clomid is what did it for me (I don't ovulate every month).  Then I got blessed w/ twins.  The only other thing I'd suggest is taking Guineffesin (spelledwrong probabally)  It helps thin out any cervical fluids that may be too thick.

adrianne7291
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Quoting betsystipo:

Did you have trouble w/ your other child?  I had trouble getting pregnant at 30.  Clomid is what did it for me (I don't ovulate every month).  Then I got blessed w/ twins.  The only other thing I'd suggest is taking Guineffesin (spelledwrong probabally)  It helps thin out any cervical fluids that may be too thick.

No, he was a happy surprise and I was only 19! Since then, I had to have a LEEP (aka cone biopsy) done as I had cervical dysplasia. My RE seems to think that might be the reason for our troubles. Other than that, we're categorized as having 'secondary unexplained infertility.' I have tried the Robitussin and I've also been using PreSeed but nothing has worked. Clomid and Femara didn't work either. :( I'm just really hoping that we can find a way to get lucky on our own because IVF here in Florida will cost nearly $15,000. :(

Congratulations on your twins!!! That's wonderful! :)

Shermy
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM
In college I was a nanny for a couple who had been trying to TTC for years with no luck, then she had two beautiful girls 16 months apart at 42
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyBeansMom
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM
I had my first at 37. I waited a long time for #2 and I feel for you. After a miscarriage at 42 (was on a lot of meds thinking I couldn't get pregnant) I was determined to try again! I read a fantastic book - Taking Charge Of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler - started charting and it took about 9 more months. I was 43 when Sydney was born. Hang in there!

PS Both mine were conceived naturally without medical assistance after two Leep procedures. Good luck to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adrianne7291
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Quoting Shermy:

In college I was a nanny for a couple who had been trying to TTC for years with no luck, then she had two beautiful girls 16 months apart at 42

Thank you for sharing! I've just got to keep trying.... and keep the faith. I appreciate you taking the time to post. It makes me feel so much better! ;)

adrianne7291
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LilyBeansMom:

I had my first at 37. I waited a long time for #2 and I feel for you. After a miscarriage at 42 (was on a lot of meds thinking I couldn't get pregnant) I was determined to try again! I read a fantastic book - Taking Charge Of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler - started charting and it took about 9 more months. I was 43 when Sydney was born. Hang in there!

PS Both mine were conceived naturally without medical assistance after two Leep procedures. Good luck to you.

Wow!! Congratulations! You have no idea how much it means to read this.... if you can do it with 2 LEEP's than there's definitely hope for me. 

I've been charting off and on but nothing serious for the last few months. I think that I'll finally read that book.

Thank you! :)

Charizma77
by Carissa on Sep. 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM
I will send you some good luck wishes and baby dust your way. Hugs!
lisa601
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM
I know several who have gotten pregnant after 40 but they were not ttc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)