Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

?'s For those who've had a hysterectomy... - Edit 10/6

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:49 PM
  • 27 Replies

I got a few questions for those who have had hysterectomies.

I am looking to get a hysterectomy for a few reasons. I would like to hear about your experience.

Did they put you completely under or just local anesthetic?
How long were you out, or how long did the anesthetic last?
How was the pain when you first came out of it?
How was the pain in the following days/weeks?
How was recovery?
How long did recovery take?
Heavy lifting, yes or no?
Anything else you can think to add that you feel is important?

Please & Thank you :)

------

So I saw the doctor, who basically did nothing but listen to me and then turn around and tell me that to control painful periods and heavy bleeding to take a form of birth control even though I said I've taken birth control before and not only did it not stop the periods when I tried to take it every day of the month (birth control actually made me irregular, I spotted for a month straight and bled multiple times a month)... but it also causes weight gain, which I don't need right now and makes me feel like I am bat shit crazy. Then they handed me vitamins to take and wrote me a prescription because I had too much good bacteria in my system and told me if I decided I wanted birth control to come back. WTF?

So far this year I've seen 4 different doctors.
One swore up and down I had cysts/polyps on my ovaries, an U/S tech of 20+ years said they were eggs and a blood test showed (according to the doctor) that I didn't have cysts/polyps and tried to get me to go on birth control.
The next one wasn't an OBGYN but told me to try and find one that would help me.
The next one ran blood tests up the ass for diabetes, thyroid, metabolism, etc... which I have heard nothing on.
And now this last one doesn't even wanna talk about other treatments other than going on hormones which I know drives me utterly insane. As if PMS'ing 3 weeks out of the month is not enough time spent being crazy and bitchy, we gotta go for the full 4 weeks a month.

I feel like just breaking down and crying my eyes out. 

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Did they put you completely under or just local anesthetic?

All the way under,

How long were you out, or how long did the anesthetic last?

I have no idea, I was out before I could start counting LOL

How was the pain when you first came out of it?  I have to admit that I waw pretty bad when I laughed and NunSense with Rue McClanahan was on television and I had all the nurses steping into my room because I kept crying out :LP:

How was the pain in the following days/weeks?  It wasn't bad at all

How was recovery?  It was okay, but my ex was a Pain.  

How long did recovery take? about 6 months for the most part, it actually take about a year to completely heal and recover from abdominal surgeryl 

Heavy lifting, yes or no?  NOt supposed to...that's why ex was an Ass, he wasn't ex at that time but he figured that since I could get myself to the bathroom without help I could cart the laundry up and down the stairs even though the doctor told him that I wasn't to go up and down stairs.  

Anything else you can think to add that you feel is important?  If you feel pain stop whatever you are doing.  If you feel tired, rest.   If you need help ask for it.  

TheJerseyGirl
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 6:21 AM

Did they put you completely under or just local anesthetic? Completely under!
How long were you out, or how long did the anesthetic last?I was out for 2 1/2 hours...I had more problems once they started so it took a bit longer
How was the pain when you first came out of it? You are so drugged up you dont feel pain really
How was the pain in the following days/weeks?THAT was pretty bad the first few days when you get home because you are only on pain pills, no IV, and I tried to wean myself right away since I dont like meds.
How was recovery? It was fine honestly...after a week you feel so much better!
How long did recovery take? I'd say a few weeks until you really feel like yourself
Heavy lifting, yes or no?NO, but in 5 days I was vacuuming and doing laundry, up and down the stairs which they say is a NO NO
Anything else you can think to add that you feel is important?

I dont know your experience as to why you need one, but my quality of life with heavy bleeding 20 days out of the month was truly killing me...I was anemic and so drained all the time. I would avoid going places because I would pass clots and it would bleed thru my pants...TMI I know but it's true!

I waited YEARS...7!...until I found the courage to get it done. MY only regret it that I didnt get it done sooner...I am sooooooooo happy to not have to worry about periods or have the pain that came with fibroids and endometriosis.

If you have any other questions, I'm here! I know surgery is a scary thought but I promise you it is NOT bad at all! You'll be so relieved when its over!

EireLass
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I had a supra-cervical hysterectomy. Means I only had my uterus removed. I have all other parts. Ovaries, fallopian tubes, cervix. Doctor and I figured we'd only remove what was the issue and nothing else. I was in really good physical shape going in, so I had a good recovery. Put under general anesthesia, but when I came out of it I was in horrible pain. They attempted laprascopic surgery, but ended up doing the whole bikini cut. I was only in the hospital a total of 36 hours. On the couch for a couple days with milder meds. At the end of the week I was back on the treadmill. At 2 weeks I was swimming again. At 3 weeks I was on the motorcycle. It took 6 months to get my energy level back. I was tired alot, for no reason other than typical side effect of abdominal surgery.

It was a good decision, and I'm glad I did it. Wished I hadn't waited 4 years before doing it. I was just on a quest for an alternative to surgery.

Hippie.Gypsy
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Thank you ladies! You have provided me with lots of good insight into the experience from difference people.

angie2568
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I was given topical numbing meds on my hand while talking to nurse about procedure before I knew it I had an IV and thats where they administered the anesthesia. I was in surgery for almost 3 1/2 hours. I was left with enough fallopian tube to hold ovaries, but cervix and uterus was gone. The pain was managable - I have high tolerance. I was on morphin pump for a few hours. I was supposed to go home same day, but got alittle sick and stayed over night. I also had to have cath for 14 days. Recovery was fine I never took pain meds just advil. No lifting for 6 weeks my son was just over a year old. That was not fun. (LOL). It took 6 weeks for them to let me return to work. that sucked...

Other than that it was fine. But everyone is different. I have told many people I would rather have that surgery or labor/delivery daily than get a headache. So I mean...my tolerance is way up there. (Not normal - huh)

Just listen to the nurses, they want to help. Once you wake up, be slow at moving to side of bed. Take a sip of soda-caffeine! Sit there about 5-10 minutes, then stand for about 2 minutes. They will want you to walk around every 2 hours so the muscles will begin to heal faster and not be so sore when you do get up. Make sure you eat enough and drink enough - stool softner helps if you have any problems using bathroom bc the straining can irritate you very bad!

Good Luck, message me if you have any other questions.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers

Hippie.Gypsy
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Thank you angie for sharing.

I typically have a high pain tolerance as well...but surgery and pain is a completely different thing than labor pains and everything else I have experienced I suspect.

boxcaranne
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Had mine before the laparscopic procedures.  Just uterus removed, cervix was left in place.  Have since learned that you must still have paps done due to cervical cancer and especially if you have HPV or high risk for HPV--DO NOT let anyone tell you that it can not happen!!!  When health professionals would find out I was asking for Pap they could not understand why since I'd had a hysto-then we found atypical cells.  Otherwise--best thing I ever did!! (not counting my 2 children of course)

CoeyG
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I couldn't have mine laproscopically because of the sdcar tissue from my C-section.  Good thing because my Uterus and bladder were "fused" together with scar tissue.  

mightymo
by Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:42 PM

i had to have regular hysterectomy because i had an enlarged uterus otherwise they could have done vaginal . i was out like a light, i can't say i was in too much pain it was more achy than anything ,just papmer yourself a little when you get home don't rush to do anything  strenuous for a while , the dr. will tell you how much and how long

Hippie.Gypsy
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Thanks everyone :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN