Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

New Role!

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:00 AM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello.

I'm a very new Grandma and need some advice. I have been asking friends how they handle being a long distance Grandma. One suggested Skype, which I use. Another said she sends her granchild(ren) parcels whenever she sees something she likes, not just at Christmas and birthdays. As mothers, how would you like your long distance mother (Grandma to your own baby) to behave? I will try to visit (fly) about every three months unless they fly to me.  Thank you. 

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
terra52590
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:04 AM
We go and visit both my mom (saturdays and sometimes sundays) and DFs mom (sundays) every week but I was never raised with grandparents so I am adamant about my LO raised with hers. We also skype every now and then with my parents when they are on vacation. But we only live 15 and 20 min from each lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terra52590
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:08 AM
I would say all of the above. Do what you can to be in your grand babies life.. As a child it made me sad knowing my grandparents didn't care (except one that sent presents and cards but I hardly know her)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M.E.Langlands
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Thank you for that. I agree that a regular prescence in some way is needed.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I would not over gift the children but I think sending small things, notes, skyping and visiting provided, you are a pleasant guest, is all good.

M.E.Langlands
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Thank you. Yes, I see what you mean, I mustn't buy their love. I will try to be a pleasant guest!

Bradensmommy719
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Sounds like you are doing more than most. My mil has no relationship with my son other than holidays. She doesn't get online or try to talk to him when she calls hunny. She has seen him less than 5 times and he is 4. Hunnies step mom tries a little harder but also very limited relationship. she has been in and out of the hospital a lot so she is limited to coming and seeing him. Plus she has her hands full with her other 3 grandkids. Smil is better interacting with him than my mil.
Call when you can not just special occasions. Send lil surprises to let them know you are thinking about them always. Skype is a great way. Congrats and good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momw2teens522
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Mel,

Hi.  I think a combination of the ideas expressed above are good.It is like the little thoughtful  things matter too.EX. You could find granbaby a Halloween card with lots of color,  he/she will look at it forever!Trinket items that are name personalized would be something to send a, just because gift. Ideas could be a personalized sippee cup.Good luck on finding grandchildis name- can be a nuisance if they don't have name u need!Writing simple short notes to him/her when gets to be a toddler or so.Mom can read the note and say it is from Gram!!

Keep us in the loop how things work out.What state do u reside?  Your ganchild?

HTMommy
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I would HATE it having a long distance relationship, but my mom is the same, she calls on the phone all the time with my brother, visits as often as she can and sends packages for the family all the time.

asaffell
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM

My mom has a really awesome relationship with my kids even though we're 3000 miles away. We see her about once a year. She sends cards, presents and things for special occassions and we talk all the time. If you have a good relationship with your child, you're going to have a good relationship with the grandchildren.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM

My cousin just became a grandma 9 months ago and they skype every night! Its really cute that the baby knows who she is and gets so excited about it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)