Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Is this sexist? What would you have said?

Posted by   + Show Post

My mother is in her 70's but very active; she's always been very hands on, spends all summer out in the yard and can handle just about any tool and fix-it project (except electric wiring which scares her).  Anyway she decided to downsize a bit and get rid of things in her tool chest - an entire rolling cart - keeping just the stuff she uses the most.

She went to a chain store and was looking at the tool boxes when the salesman came over and asked if he could help.  She asked him if those were the only toolboxes they had or did they have anything LARGER.  His reply?  "We have some pink ones over there".

Hello?!?  Pretty sure we asked about size not color.  And pointing a Woman to the "pink" toolboxes?  She just said that wasn't what she was looking for and let it go.  A couple days later though I'm still annoyed about this.  I  feel like he assumed the weak little ladies must want the girly toolbox for show or something.  Just bugs me!

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:21 AM
Replies (21-23):
merryvoice
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Same here!

Quoting earthangel1967:

It was sexist but just between you and me I would have liked the pink lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eve-marie
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 7:42 AM
"young man, pink is not a size." then you leave.
julesbouge
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I worked at a hardware store through college and some of the customers thought I had no place working there.  It was annoying.  I understand your concern.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)