Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

TTC...New to this all.... Just need some advise :)

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:54 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hey Ya'll...

I have a question... well quite a few. Im new to all this and dont know where to start.

1. I just had my Mirena IUD removed on Monday Oct 1st We had unprotected sex the night before and all three days prior to that. My DR didnt say anything or ask anything about when we last had intercourse and i just didnt even think to tell her and ask if i could get pregnant.... SO.... the next morning i woke up and that was the first thing i thought of.

* I have not had any bleeding since removal*

I have done some researched and asked a couple nurses... and its possible i could become pregnant.

My Question: How long until i could test and see if i am pregnant, since i have no idea when my period would come since i havent had one for almost two years. Any symptoms to look for and how soon???

2. When we do get the wonderful news that we are expecting what are the first things... medical wise should i do and how soon afterwards?

3. Does any one know of a good website that shows what i NEED for the first year.... and your own personal advise.

I know i am just psyching myself up... but i felt as thought the morning i woke up after i had my iud out... i would be parents soon... hopefully we are :-)

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
betsystipo
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow!  Good Luck to you!  

For the first year?  Well...why not stick to the first few months!?  You'd need bottles - unless you plan to breast feed exclusively.  Crib, highchair, swing is helpful, diapers, wipes, clothes (which will depend on if you find out the sex of the baby....)  a stroller, carseat, a sling or other type carrier is helpful.  Gosh....there is so much.....I'm not sure I can list it all w/o my full cup of coffee, yet!  

VintageWife
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

1. Anytime you have sexual intercourse while you still have your ladyparts all in place, you could become pregnant.

2. Medical wise after getting a BFP (big fat positive) you should go into your OB or Midwife and have them do the blood test to confirm and set up the first appt. Then ask them to prescribe you some prenatals or go down to Walmart or wherever and get them on your own. Oh, and stop any drinking, smoking or drugs if you do those things. The baby's develop is important at this stage.

3. For the first year? I'd say you really don't need anything if you're planning on bf'ing (breastfeeding) and cosleeping. You'd need a carseat and cd's (cloth diapers) if that's the way you are going. Otherwise, you will need a crib, diapers, carseat, some clothes, bottles and some of the little things. Keep an open mind to all areas of parenting, especially if you don't have a lot of money. Bf'ing can be the cheapest thing you can do for your baby, especially. Cd'ers are a big expense out of the gate, but you can use them till they're potty trained and you've saved hundreds/thousands over buying the disposables.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!  The other ladies have given you good advice, so I'll just add GOOD LUCK!  :)

prina007
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Thanks everyone... :-) this is very helpful. I havent had a AF yet but i started spoting and i feel i am having AF symptoms. So idk... Hoping i start soon to start seeing when i ovulate or if i consieved.
VintageWife
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:29 PM

No problem. We're here if you need anything else :)

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:27 PM
Quoting amonkeymom:

Welcome!  The other ladies have given you good advice, so I'll just add GOOD LUCK!  :)

Charli627
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:42 AM
awww good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prina007
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:14 AM
I love this website... I was on another one and no one responded at all in two days... Booo...
Everyone is great here.

After 9 years together i am so happy to start a new adventure together. My bf mother asked me if i was pregnant lol... And she didnt know i had my iud out... Lol. But that is not an uncommen question around here... Everyone asks when were have a baby,,, or multiples at that.... Twins run on both sides and its a joke in the family.

Anyways she wants another grandbaby. She has 9, ages 4 to 18. So were the last ones.
I told her no but we have been thinking about it. So we spent all afternoon talking baby this baby that. It was nice.

I thought i started my AF but then it just stopped so i think it was just the removal bleeding from the iud on the 1st.

Well ill keep u informed thats for all the well wishers :-)
kpuhr
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Wishing you lots of luck.  There is nothing more joyious that a child.  There will be days when they hit the teen years that you will think you are losing your mind, and that there is no light at the end of the tunnel.  There is, trust me.  Just relax, remember to breath and it will all happen when it is supposed to happen.  If you stress about not getting pregnant right away, that is not healthly for you either.  In other words, my best advice to you right now, is just stay relaxed, enjoy the "prep" work, and just go with the flow. I do have to say since you have not had a period in awhile, that might be a bit uncomfortable.  I would strongly suggest getting some good tylenol, or aleve.  If you suspect that you might be pregnant at any given time, do the at home test. If it comes back positive, then make an appointment for blood work.  When you find out that you are, an internal instinct will kick in, and lots of things will come naturally to you.  One other piece of advice I would give you, just take it one step at a time as it can be overwhelming.  Good luck again, will keep you in my thoughts and prayers...

PINKmyfavcolor
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Check out this group - they can really help:

Join us in the Trying to Conceive group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)