Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Box Tops for education

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:56 AM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

Does your childs school collect them?  Do you send them in?

Any idea how much they (the school) made from them last year?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoolMommyofboys
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:02 AM

My boys school collects them.  I've always cut them out and sent them in.  My Mom has given us hers also.  Last year they collected a few dollars shy of two thousand dollars!  (they sent a letter home reminding us to send them in and told us the amount from last year- that's the only reason I know)

The reason I thought of this...my third graders teacher told him he needed to glue the box tops to this piece of paper that she provided.  I had just sent them in a zip lock.  He wanted to bring them in cuz he said whichever class brings in the most will get a pizza party.                 I call BS on gluing them down cuz I know they have to be cut out on the line and bundled a certain way.  My Moms school did it last year  and she helped..they found it to be to much of a pain.              I can't bel. someone wants to take the time to peel them off the paper       Ugh and we sure don't want to take the time to glue them on just to have them pulled off.                   I just sent them with the younger child the next day        LOL       sorry guess the older one might  not get a pizza party?            

snuggiewoogie
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Not that I know of. I will have to too what happens this year :)

diaperstodating
by Angel on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Yes and yes.

crabtreemommy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Yes, Yes, and No. Every month the school asks each student to turn in 10 box tops. I am usually able to do at least 10. I did 11 today and last month was 14. However there are kids who bring in quart size bags FULL of them! 

HTMommy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I was coordinator for my middle's school last year. we made almost $3000 last year. but for some reason regardless it combines the schools. We have an upper and lower elementary school. pre-k through 2 and 3-5 bc we have so many kids. Its frustrating

HTMommy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM

heheh so from a coordinator they ahve to be in groups of 50 and can't be stapled. They also have to have the exp dates on them. If they're ripped off they don't count. Thats it. They can be taped or glued just not stapled. and you can send in however many you want.

On the top corners it has the code for what item in came from and the year it expires and on the bottom it has the full date it expires. as long as it has a complete m/d/y on it, in any combo its accepted. If its unreadable or missing or ripped up, they won't accept them. Thats what makes being a coordinator hard bc you have to go through ALL of them and make sure they are right. Sometimes I would even tape them myself because it was easier to count. BUT I will warm that gluing the plastic-y ones or metallic ones is a bad idea bc they fall off. Super glue doesn't even hold them.

Quoting CoolMommyofboys:

My boys school collects them.  I've always cut them out and sent them in.  My Mom has given us hers also.  Last year they collected a few dollars shy of two thousand dollars!  (they sent a letter home reminding us to send them in and told us the amount from last year- that's the only reason I know)

The reason I thought of this...my third graders teacher told him he needed to glue the box tops to this piece of paper that she provided.  I had just sent them in a zip lock.  He wanted to bring them in cuz he said whichever class brings in the most will get a pizza party.                 I call BS on gluing them down cuz I know they have to be cut out on the line and bundled a certain way.  My Moms school did it last year  and she helped..they found it to be to much of a pain.              I can't bel. someone wants to take the time to peel them off the paper       Ugh and we sure don't want to take the time to glue them on just to have them pulled off.                   I just sent them with the younger child the next day        LOL       sorry guess the older one might  not get a pizza party?            

CoolMommyofboys
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Quoting HTMommy:

heheh so from a coordinator they ahve to be in groups of 50 and can't be stapled. They also have to have the exp dates on them. If they're ripped off they don't count. Thats it. They can be taped or glued just not stapled. and you can send in however many you want.

On the top corners it has the code for what item in came from and the year it expires and on the bottom it has the full date it expires. as long as it has a complete m/d/y on it, in any combo its accepted. If its unreadable or missing or ripped up, they won't accept them. Thats what makes being a coordinator hard bc you have to go through ALL of them and make sure they are right. Sometimes I would even tape them myself because it was easier to count. BUT I will warm that gluing the plastic-y ones or metallic ones is a bad idea bc they fall off. Super glue doesn't even hold them.

Quoting CoolMommyofboys:

thanks for the inside info  :)

I guess it would be easier for the teacher to count them in they're all glued on a sheet of paper..maybe that's why she asked for him to do that?  I don't know but we weren't going to spend out time doing it

HTMommy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:16 PM

maybe for thier own knowledge for the class contest. But there should be a coordinator for your school. who knows. but its not a rule, so go ahead and send em in. My one sons class glued them in class during extra time.

Quoting CoolMommyofboys:

Quoting HTMommy:

Quoting CoolMommyofboys:

thanks for the inside info  :)

I guess it would be easier for the teacher to count them in they're all glued on a sheet of paper..maybe that's why she asked for him to do that?  I don't know but we weren't going to spend out time doing it

Charli627
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM
We collect but forget to send them in
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:27 PM
They do but I don't remember. They hold a contest between classes but my kids classes have yet to win.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)