Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

15 month old with insomnia

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM
  • 13 Replies

My 15 moth old has never really slept through the night his entire life but he has never had an issue falling back to sleep. He'd wake up to eat then go right back down. The past three months he has been waking up at 2 and whining for 3 to 4 hours before going back to sleep. I would give him a bottle hoping that would help but it hasn't so I stopped giving it to him that past few weeks. At first it was just me he was waking up but now my husband and my 8 yr old DS aren't sleeping now either. Now he no longer whines but full on screams. I'd go in his room and pat his back to calm him down but now if I don't pick him up and rock him back to sleep he will throw himself against the side of the crib and bang his head against it. I've tried everything I could think of, bath before bed, giving him dinner just before bed, shorter naps, lately I have been giving him Motrin because he has been teething so I know that's not what is keeping him awake, nothing over stimulating close to bad time. I have no idea what to do or even try anymore and with my husband working 70+ hrs and my ODS being in school they really need their sleep, please help! 

P.S.

no bashing please. I genuinely need help and can't deal with hateful comments right now.

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snuggiewoogie
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:07 AM

So sorry! I don't have any advice but I hope things improve :)

JJJMommyKris
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this
He might need more sleep. I know that sounds odd but he may not be getting enough. There is a book called no cry sleep solutions and she even has a website that has some tips and information that could be helpful to you. If you can't find it on Google, let me know and I will go find her name off the book. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM

He is growing try eliminating a nap altogether.  And the reason he has a meltdown when you put him back down to sleep is because he knows you will pick him up.  He is controling the sleep in that house.  Stop picking him up when he throws a tantrum.  Let him cream, cry, bang his head (My daughter did the same) he won't do it enough to reall yhurt himself.  You have to let him know that he i s not in control or this will keep on

HTMommy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I agree that he sounds like he needs more sleep. Bc he is growing kids his age should be getting 12-14 hours of sleep. If he is over-tired, he can act all sorts of different ways. I have 3 boys, when mine got like that they all did something else. My oldest would CRASH! He'd get cranky and pass out like you wouldn't believe. My middle would be inconsolable and just miserable. My youngest would be the same, but the difference was that he would be WIRED and inconsolable. You can't do anything with him bc he just FREAKS OUT.

Now if he's getting enough sleep, maybe get him to the dr. He could have an ear infection....and NO not every kid tugs their ears or other typical signs. None of mine ever did anything typical and more than once did I take them for something else and it turned out they had ear infections (worst part of parenting toddlers/nontalkers) If he's teething, maybe try teething tablets. They worked for my youngest like nothing else. They were recalled at one point bc of idiot parents, but are back on the market. They're herbal, but they can have a euphoric effect and almost instantly calm kids. It was magnificent.

Also does he respond to warm and cold? Some kids are comforted when nice and warm, others get very uncomfortable with it and prefer to be a little cooler. My youngest who is 3 does NOT stay in his bed and asleep if he gets cool, he could be sweating his little butt off, but as long as he's warm, he's good, where my oldest likes to be warm to fall asleep but can't be warm to actually sleep and kicks off all his blankets.

Maybe try the lavender infused baby lotion before bed and start baby massages to calm him. Also put a fan in the room or something else that emits "white noise" even a clock that has ocean sounds or something like that can be extremely soothing and calming.

It may also be night terrors or night mares. Young kids can suffer from either or both.

Good luck momma, I've been there more than I care to remember, know that you aren't alone. *hugs* It does get better.

Also maybe invest in some nice earplugs for your other child and hubby. Its not always easy to live with a baby in the house, but they can compromise also, I know its hard, but they are older and can be more understanding in the sleep situation. (not that they aren't, but so they can help themselves kwim?)

HTMommy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:17 PM

fyi here's the website I got the info from regarding amount of sleep applicable to ages

Shavahn
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM
Thank you! I thought about the ear infection and took him to the dr and he is healthy. I will definitely try the other stuff. I've never heard of the teething tablets but I'm willing to try it.

Quoting HTMommy:

I agree that he sounds like he needs more sleep. Bc he is growing kids his age should be getting 12-14 hours of sleep. If he is over-tired, he can act all sorts of different ways. I have 3 boys, when mine got like that they all did something else. My oldest would CRASH! He'd get cranky and pass out like you wouldn't believe. My middle would be inconsolable and just miserable. My youngest would be the same, but the difference was that he would be WIRED and inconsolable. You can't do anything with him bc he just FREAKS OUT.

Now if he's getting enough sleep, maybe get him to the dr. He could have an ear infection....and NO not every kid tugs their ears or other typical signs. None of mine ever did anything typical and more than once did I take them for something else and it turned out they had ear infections (worst part of parenting toddlers/nontalkers) If he's teething, maybe try teething tablets. They worked for my youngest like nothing else. They were recalled at one point bc of idiot parents, but are back on the market. They're herbal, but they can have a euphoric effect and almost instantly calm kids. It was magnificent.

Also does he respond to warm and cold? Some kids are comforted when nice and warm, others get very uncomfortable with it and prefer to be a little cooler. My youngest who is 3 does NOT stay in his bed and asleep if he gets cool, he could be sweating his little butt off, but as long as he's warm, he's good, where my oldest likes to be warm to fall asleep but can't be warm to actually sleep and kicks off all his blankets.

Maybe try the lavender infused baby lotion before bed and start baby massages to calm him. Also put a fan in the room or something else that emits "white noise" even a clock that has ocean sounds or something like that can be extremely soothing and calming.

It may also be night terrors or night mares. Young kids can suffer from either or both.

Good luck momma, I've been there more than I care to remember, know that you aren't alone. *hugs* It does get better.

Also maybe invest in some nice earplugs for your other child and hubby. Its not always easy to live with a baby in the house, but they can compromise also, I know its hard, but they are older and can be more understanding in the sleep situation. (not that they aren't, but so they can help themselves kwim?)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shavahn
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:40 PM
I looked up that book. It sounds interesting and worth the read, I wonder if its at my library, hmmm

Quoting JJJMommyKris:

He might need more sleep. I know that sounds odd but he may not be getting enough. There is a book called no cry sleep solutions and she even has a website that has some tips and information that could be helpful to you. If you can't find it on Google, let me know and I will go find her name off the book. Good luck

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charli627
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM
This as I'm still struggling with a two year who won't stay sleep and screams as well.

Quoting snuggiewoogie:

So sorry! I don't have any advice but I hope things improve :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JudyAnnMomof4
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I would take him to the doctor to see if there is something else going on.Might find a cure for it.

betsystipo
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Is the Motrin wearing off around the time he is waking?  Maybe he just needs another dose to help ease the teething pain?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)