Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Basically, she only won cus she's special needs...

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM
  • 22 Replies

I came across something on Facebook about a High School girl who hows Downs syndrome and was voted homecoming queen because the school admins made the other students vote her as a "lesson of kindness."

I get what they were trying to teach but basically you rigged a "competition" so the "handicapped kid" could feel "beautiful." & so everyone else can feel good about "doing something nice." I think that's wrong. It was a pitty vote.

Maybe I am just sensitive person but does anyone else see it that way? You want the "special" kid to feel "normal" so you give her a crown to feel "pretty". I think it's wrong, the girl should feel "normal" for her personality not because of her DX.

How would you feel if your "disabled" child was made prom king / queen or homecoming to feel "pretty" or "normal"? -My son has autism and i would be PISSED he was voted to win soley based off the fact he has autism.

I'm searching my FB timeline to post the picture but I think you'd have to be friends with the person who posted the story.

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
betsystipo
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you are misinterpreting it, I'd like to see the whole story

MamaFrankie
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Quoting betsystipo:

I'm trying to post it, it was one of those photos they post for "likes" with a story underneath, but i think you need ot be the person's friends to view it. gimme a sec- i'm not too tech savvy LOL

MamaFrankie
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Quoting betsystipo:

okay i "screen snipped" it

bec94
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:38 PM
3 moms liked this
Idk. I get 100% what you are saying, and as a parent I want to protect my kids. but at the same time the total joy on the girls face is priceless. I'm thinking the school as a whole must truely like this girl, otherwise it couldn't be pulled off.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Barronbaby
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM
2 moms liked this
honestly i think its awesome and amazing. for one day she got to feel special! as a mother to a special needs child this brings tears to my eyes that the school and students supported her running for queen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
betsystipo
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I actually looked it up on Facebook.  I don't see an issue w/ it.  All those "contests" are popularity contests....this is a person who is beautiful in side

snuggiewoogie
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I think it's fine! What's seems to be the problem?

LivinDeadGurl
So tired of this migraine!
Yesterday at 3:17 PM
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I see where you are coming from, but I think it was a sweet gesture.

I too have a child that is special needs so I can see both sides.

schatzi869
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this
.I think it was sweet and impressive. Most kids nowadays wouldn't give a shit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LivinDeadGurl
So tired of this migraine!
Yesterday at 3:17 PM
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting snuggiewoogie:

I think it's fine! What's seems to be the problem?

I think she is meaning that the crown was given to the girl because they felt sorry for her, not because they felt she deserved it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)