Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Sneezing Attack Kills Mom & Injures Toddler Out for a Drive - Do you ever sneeze while driving?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM
  • 17 Replies

Sneezing Attack Kills Mom & Injures Toddler Out for a Drive

Posted by Kiri Blakeley on November 19, 2012 

We hear a lot about the dangers of drinking while driving and texting while driving, but little about another cause of accidents when a driver is impaired -- sneezing while driving. Last week, 30-year-old mother Laura McClendon was killed and her 1-year-old son was left injured and motherless after another driver crossed the median line and ran into Laura -- because, she says, she was having a sneezing attack.

Friends are "trying to wrap [their] heads around" what happened to Laura. They say that she was "just getting her act together as a single mom" and had taken a new job and was doing well in her career when tragedy struck. Unfortunately, Laura wasn't wearing a seatbelt, which could have saved her life. Her son survived but is in serious condition in the hospital -- and, of course, lost his mother at a horribly young age.

Police say they are looking into whether there could have been another cause for the accident -- such as texting -- and the driver, 44-year-old Kathryn Brady, was charged with careless and imprudent driving. She also had no insurance.

Believe it or not, cops say that deadly sneezing car accidents aren't that uncommon. Last year, a man in Maryland says he began sneezing and ran off the road into a tree. His passenger died. In England, a man rammed into the back of another car and killed the driver. He also said he'd been sneezing. One study even says that people with a cold drive 50 percent worse than healthy drivers.

Sneezing attacks can come on all of a sudden, but it's imperative if you begin to feel one coming in that you slow down the car and begin to move towards the breakdown lane so you don't veer into traffic. And, of course, everyone should wear seatbelts.

This is really one of those random freak accidents that makes you never want to leave your house again. But, since we can't do that, it's best to take as many precautions as you can.

Do you ever sneeze while driving?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Had3girls
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:21 PM
I have sneezing attacks all the time and when I'm driving and have 1 it scares me soooo bad cause when I sneeze its not once or twice its like 7-15 sneezes .... soooo scary =/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I have daily sneezping attacks, and yes sometimes when I'm driving.  I pull over because my attacks aren't just a few sneezes, I have had over 20.  In fact Friday night I had one so bad I wound up with a nosebleed.  

snuggiewoogie
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Yeah I suppose I have..... Very Sad :(

psychobilly_mom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:06 PM

:-/

newmommy430
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:12 PM
That's so sad. I think everyone has sneezed while driving. It's not something you have control over. It has crossed my mind before how dangerous it could be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mhmomma
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Hmmm I don't ever recall it happening.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Necie72
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Yup...  And I have them pretty bad too...  I have severe allergies when it comes to animals, so, depending, I can have a bad trigger after leaving somewhere...  It has crossed my mind that I could have an accident, so I have slowed down...  Maybe now I'll start pulling over!!!!

Charli627
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM

i have sneezed while driving but not an attack

LivinDeadGurl
Sick and tired. Literally.
Yesterday at 12:58 PM
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:57 PM

How sad! I hate it when I sneeze while driving.

jess80
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:01 PM
I've almost lost control of the wheel from sneezing so hard. I have wondered if anyone has ever died from it. ;(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)