Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench
You wet to someone's house and there was something that affected you physically? What would you do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Replies (21-30):
LoriAnn87
by Lori on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Yes I have been to other people houses that they had something that physically affected me and I would leave if I could not take it anymore or I would excuse myself and go outside for some air. I'm highly allerigc to real Christmas and wreath pretty much everyone knows what happens I'm around one or smell one but my mil doesn't belive me at all and think it's in my head and I'm making it up so I don't have spend time at her house for Christmas. She doens't believe me because she has never seen it happen and since she has never seen how I reacted I'm making it up even though my husband has told her many of times what has happen. Every year Christmas time comes around my mil and fil get a real tree and always say to my husband why don't u guys come over here and he will say can't because Lori can't be around the tree she will say Oh well we can always sit on the porch or in the kitchen he will say no because she smell it she will have a reaction and she will say can't she take something he will say yeah but it will only help for alittle bit and if it doesn't help i don't want to have to go to the er and she will oh i really wish would come over and tried not caring what will happen. She even ask my hubby 20 questions of why he brings a plastic bag over with a change of clothes for Mikey and he will tell her Lori can't touch Mikey because of him being around the tree he has to have different clothes on she will say I don't understand how she will break out and we can wash the clothes here and give him new clothes he will say no because they have the scent of the tree on the clothes before and after you wash them she will oh. This is one of the many reason I don't get along with my mil or can stand the women because she doesn't want to believe that someone can have a allerigc like this or understand what me or my husband have to go thought so I don't have any problems when I'm around one. Anytime I'm go to anyone house for Christmas I make sure I care bendyral, tissue, cream and eye drops just in case something does happen and as for the in laws I don't go over there house at all.

taniamorse85
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I have a significant latex allergy, and I keep Benadryl on hand at all times.   For me, family celebrations are the worst.   My family doesn't seem to realize we can celebrate without latex balloons, and they ignore me when I tell them they could potentially put me in the hospital, or worse.  There was one time we were having a birthday party for one of my cousins, and there were balloons throughout the house.  I spent the entire time in the backyard, by myself, with my mom bringing food out to me.  I've asked my family countless times to forgo the balloons, and they just won't listen.

These days, I don't go to family celebrations, other than Thanksgiving and Christmas (no balloons used at these).  It sucks to not be celebrating along with them, but I'd probably be stuck somewhere away from them anyway.

HTMommy
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:35 PM

That is really sad...why do you bother going if she's going to be so ignorant about it? Its not fair to you guys.

Quoting mhmomma:

I know all this. Please. H and I both have food issues. She does not look at labels for anything. He just doesn't care. H had had his food issues for years as have I with the food allergies. Some people will never change. Sad when it's your own mom. My mil has changed her way if cooking and checks all label

Quoting HTMommy:

aww hon! It could be sooo many things. From something she sprays or has as an air freshener to uncleaned air filters and vents. It could be something she cooks with regularly that you don't. When it cooks it becomes an aromatic and the oil particles in the air are what effect you. It could be mold or dust. Sooo many possibilities of what it could be and like Colleen said, it could also very much be a subconscious reaction to the stress of going to your mom's. Something that you have no control over. *hugs* I hope you left

mhmomma
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I honestly dont know why.  I make food so I know H will have something.  I read eVERY label now.  After the something itching me severly I will not be going there for a LONG  LONG LONG time.  She said she is gonna get the furniture cleaned.  We will see

Quoting HTMommy:

That is really sad...why do you bother going if she's going to be so ignorant about it? Its not fair to you guys.

Quoting mhmomma:

I know all this. Please. H and I both have food issues. She does not look at labels for anything. He just doesn't care. H had had his food issues for years as have I with the food allergies. Some people will never change. Sad when it's your own mom. My mil has changed her way if cooking and checks all label

Quoting HTMommy:

aww hon! It could be sooo many things. From something she sprays or has as an air freshener to uncleaned air filters and vents. It could be something she cooks with regularly that you don't. When it cooks it becomes an aromatic and the oil particles in the air are what effect you. It could be mold or dust. Sooo many possibilities of what it could be and like Colleen said, it could also very much be a subconscious reaction to the stress of going to your mom's. Something that you have no control over. *hugs* I hope you left

Necie72
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:01 PM

This happened to me, but I was sneezing and couldn't stop!  Unfortunately, I was 3 hours away from home and we were spending the night.  First thing after breakfast, we left and drove home.  I couldn't wait to get home, strip and shower!  It was a combination of their dogs and the fact that they were having construction work done.  My allergies can be really bad!!!

Redwall
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Like what...the garage door fell on my head, the grill lit up my hair, or I was raped by the husband...not quite sure of the question?

twistandshout
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM
True, so true. Your Mom should have checked on you though.
mhmomma
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Sorry I explained more in a reply.  My moms house mademe so itchy that I had to leave.  I felt like I had bugs all over biting and stinging me.  It was horrible and totally unbearable.  I have been having skin issues and no one can figure out why

Quoting Redwall:

Like what...the garage door fell on my head, the grill lit up my hair, or I was raped by the husband...not quite sure of the question?

mhmomma
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:18 PM

See I have a pet but I am allergic so I vac and mop like a mad woman LOL

Quoting Necie72:

This happened to me, but I was sneezing and couldn't stop!  Unfortunately, I was 3 hours away from home and we were spending the night.  First thing after breakfast, we left and drove home.  I couldn't wait to get home, strip and shower!  It was a combination of their dogs and the fact that they were having construction work done.  My allergies can be really bad!!!

mhmomma
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Right?

Quoting twistandshout:

True, so true. Your Mom should have checked on you though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)