Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Breast development in 10 year old daughter

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:24 PM
  • 17 Replies

My oldest daughter hit puberty about a year ago when she started getting breast buds. A little earlier than I expected but not too unusual today. We bought her first bras together and she was actually pretty excited. She stayed pretty flat on top for a while, but everything changed since school started this year. She began complaining that her bras were too tight. She didn't look that much bigger on top and she's only 10 so I was skeptical. After a while she began whining about it again so I took her to the mall to have a fitting. I was absolutely shocked when the lady at the store told me she should be wearing a C cup! I immediately thought, "She's only 10! How could this happen so quickly?" I thought they must have made a mistake, but these ladies know their stuff. They were extremely nice and understanding and helped my daughter pick out a few very comfortable new C cup bras to wear.

The last couple months have been tough, though. She's an early developer in other ways too, already about 5'4" tall. Add big boobs on top of that and it's been downright traumatic for her. She looks at least 16. Some of the kids in her class are always teasing her. She was already extremely shy and this doesn't help. There's been a lot of tears. I see teenage boys (and adult men!) eyeing her when we go out, but thankfully she's innocent enough not to notice. Fortunately she has a few really great friends who accept her for who she is and we encourage frequent playdates with them. I'm busty myself (DD cup) so I've talked to her about how everyone grows differently and she just happens to be more mature than her peers. Even I have to remind myself that even though she looks like a teenager, she's really only 10.

Any other parents have experience with a situation like this?

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvmybug
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM

i developed early, too. and my daughter is following suit. she's 8 and is already in training bras just like me. but i stayed short, like she is as well. 

VintageWife
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Bless her heart :(

clockwatcher
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM

This happened to my granddaughter when she was 8 (she'll be 10 in February) and her pediatrician said it was much too early for her to be developing. They ran some tests and found out that she has a tumor on her pituitary gland. She now goes through Lu-pron shots so that they can slow down her growth and development. I would check with your pediatrician just to be on the safe side.

Air-Force-Mom
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:21 PM

When my neice was 10 she had bagun to develop and began her first period. I was 14 before I had my first period and wasn't even developed (much). I have very small breasts btw. So yes, this seems to be natural for this day and time. But as many people have mentioned every girl develops at their own rate. Some younger and some older.

Have a good day..

mhmomma
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG I am no where near that.  My dd is 9 but doesnt even have buds, no hips nothing.  How did you not notice a C cup though?  I would think thats big especially for a 10 year old, no?  Has she gotten her period?  Not looking forward to it

snuggiewoogie
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:24 PM

My Jenna is 9 and she's got nothing going on yet. But it's coming! lol...

Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I was in a c cup at 13, I feel for her!

CoeyG
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I started at 9/10, my cousin startged at 8, My daughter started at 10, My cousin is now 69, I'm 59.  I don't think 10 is all that early...Then again my youngest sister didn't start until she was almost 17...

mhmomma
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:25 AM

See like your youngest sister I think that will be my DD.  She hasthe raging attitude but thats it.  The doctor said she will be a late bloomer.  She is still waiting for her growth spurt LOL  That was supposed to happen at 7.  SHe should havegrown 5-8 inches that year.  Nope she grew less then 1.  The next year was maybe 3 inches and she is not short by any means.  We have no idea though what the kids will be.  My mom and her family are all 6 foot and taller.  However Hubbys family tallest is 6 3.  I am only 5 4.  She is to my chin.

Quoting CoeyG:

I started at 9/10, my cousin startged at 8, My daughter started at 10, My cousin is now 69, I'm 59.  I don't think 10 is all that early...Then again my youngest sister didn't start until she was almost 17...

earthangel1967
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I was like your daughter, I was always a whole head and neck taller than everyone in my class and I had to wear a bra and started my period in 4th grade at age 10, Everyone always thought I was significantly older than I was the whole time I was growing up. I hated that in 4th grade but personally loved it when I was a teenager (my mom never liked it though ) lol 

View Full Size Image YVONNE

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)