Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Dog food question

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM
  • 33 Replies
Do you feed your dog by what the bag says? For example, our dog food bag says to feed our dog 1 1/3 cups DAILY. To me that seems like so little! We have a husky, so I feed her 1 cup during the day and 1 cup at night.

Or do you use an automatic feeder?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheIrishDuckie
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Just because it says that doesn't mean that's strictly what it should be. It also depends on your dogs activity. Seeing as huskies are normally really active they would need a higher caloric intake. I don't feed my animals like that though. I leave food down and when they eat, they eat, but thankfully mine don't gorge themselves. Maybe you should ask your vet what they think they should be taking in daily.

TheIrishDuckie
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I'm only saying this because my SIL is a vet and I talked to her about me just leaving food down VS feeding them twice a day.

LivinDeadGurl
Starting a new job next month! So excited!
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Nope. I feed my female dog twice a day and my male once a day (he is small and doesn't eat much).

ColorMeCrazy
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I have this big feeder thing that I just fill up and leave alone until it's empty. My dog is really good about his food though, he doesn't over eat.

CoeyG
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I feed  min between 1/4 and 1/2 cup a day.  She also gets "snacks" and treats when she behaves.  I add vegetables to my dogs food too.  Yes veggies, most are very good for dogs. 

sugarfox72
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:36 AM
We have a fat little Pomeranian and he gets 1/4 cup 3 times a day... It seems like so little but he is still a round little pup. He gets exercise and everything and the vet is the one who said 1/4 3 times a day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
snuggiewoogie
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I have a 6 lbs spoiled rotten Chihuahua....... He eats about 1/2 cup of dry food and a 1/2 a can of of wet food! That's when he is is not buggging us for our food! loll..

mamamiajk
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I go by what my dog consumes...I have labs

earthangel1967
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

When I use to have a little maltese and also a little yorkie (at different times) we fed them by the recommendation on the bag according to their weight. It must have worked well for ours bc the vet always was happy with their weights during checkups.

View Full Size Image YVONNE

sweetmissy_05
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM

No I just fiull their bowl up daily and that's what they eat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)