Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh boy..THAT IS NOT MY DAUGHTER'S NAME!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM
  • 9 Replies

So I got my dd social security card in the mail. I had her dec 3rd.

Her 1st name is Havana-Olivia her middle name is Pyper . Last name Espinosa

SS Spelt my daughters name "Havana-Olivi Pyper Espinosa"

Apparently there is a 17 letter / character space for the SS card? I never heard of it til i "googled"

How DO I fix this because I know it's spelt correctly on her Birth Certificate.

Anyone else have had this problem? How do I fix it? How does it effect Havana-Olivia for when I need to show her SS Card for doctors appointments school registration and even her drivers permit?!

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
EireLass
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

My birth certificate is not spelled as my name has always been spelled. It has never caused a problem in getting anything, or going to school, getting my license, getting a passport, etc.

LoriAnn87
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:25 PM

My full name is  LoriAnn but on my SS card they have it space out as Ann would be my middle name. But I have always used LoriAnn and never had any problems. U can always call them to see if they can change it but since her name is long and you can only have a certain amount of letters on the card they probley will not change it. As long it's correct on birth certifiacte you should not have any problems.

BoggiezMom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM
The - counts as a space
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilliesValley
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe they can just use a middle initial for the Pyper so that her first name and last name can be on the card in full correctly. It would make more sense to do that, or drop the last few characters of her middle name. but that's the government for you.

VintageWife
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this

There's room. My son's is longer than that.

CoeyG
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Try this one on for size...my mother never had a middle name and in English her Greek name translates to "Goldie" LOL.  She always went y a diminutive of her father's first name which was Antonio...Antonia, to which she shortened to Toni.  She was always Toni but that isn't on her birth certificate, she has her Greek name in Greek on it.  Her SS card, driver's license everything was Toni but it was never her "legal" name.  She finally went to court to change it just prior to my 30th birthday LOL. 

hlzcmjzajz
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:39 AM
My ds has 2 middle names, his name is Christian Matthew James Zerbe. When we got his SS card, it said Christian Matthew Zerbe. I called because I was worried it might screw something up for him in the future; they told me that it really doesn't matter what it says on the card, they have his name correct in their system so whenever he uses his SS # he'll come up with both middle names. They said they could add his second middle name if I wanted, but they normally don't unless its hyphenated... It's silly IMO, I don't know why they can't just put the correct name on there!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
earthangel1967
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I don't think it will cause any issues, more annoying than anything probably.

When I filled out my 3rd baby's birth certificate I spelled her first name very purposely MICHAE'LA (note the accent mark after the e) I had life threatening complications after her birth and wasnt feeling well so maybe thats why I didnt double check her certificate as well as I should have and the dummies spelled her name WITHOUT the accent mark which was a big deal to me. I didnt even notice that until years later actually. I had always taught my daughter to spell her name with the accent mark and to this day at age 20 she still does including on legal stuff and she never has a problem with it.

It's probably similar to how I have had people ask me if my signature is legal or not bc I dont sign in cursive (I know how but that is not how I sign my name I made up my own sort of like calligraphy PRINT style when I was in middle school and have used that ever since) I checked and they said as long as that is the signature I ALWAYS use including on my michigan state id and ss card etc then its a legal signature regardless so I never have trouble either.

View Full Size Image YVONNE

CoeyG
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Actually your name is not how you are identified any longer.  As long as you sign your name the same way everytime it doesn't even have to e the same name that is on your paycheck.  It is the numbers that count.  To any estalishment be it governmental or retail you are not a name you are a numer.  Take a look at your restaurant receipts, you name is only on the one you sign during a credit transaction and even your signature is no longer required in some places.  However there is a tale numer, sometimes a "server name" is there but more often than not it is a server number.  Grocery stores are the same we are all just numbers. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)