Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Why do people always blame the mother?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:56 PM
  • 27 Replies

When the young child is having a tanrum in public or is "acting bratty"? Why do they glare at the mother and assume it's her fault the child acts this way or like what she does will magicially stop the child? Don't they remember anything about being a mother? It's usually older women and men who do this but also young parents too.

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lindalou907
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know, but I always admire the women who are holding it together and just trying to ignore the tantrum or taking the kid outside, rather than arguing with the child. I used to work with a man who would tell a crying kid,"Sorry, there's no crying allowed in here" and a lot of times they would stop :)

LuNaDoLL
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:19 AM
1 mom liked this

because its up to a mother to put a stop to that 

snuggiewoogie
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I think when the Tantrum is really going full force I think it's best to just to get outta the current situation and try to get it to under control.......

mamamiajk
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this

Moms are the easiest target.....sad but true

hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I'm one of those parents who child have a meltdown in public. People expect you to have control of your children's behavior.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Because the mother allows the child to behave that way instead of removing the child and disciplining the child.  If all you're going to do is allow your child to have a melt down and disturb others then you'd better expect the glares.  Pick up your child and go to your car and strap the kid into the car seat untl the meltdown is over in private, don't force other shoppers to put up with your brat.

suetoo
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:50 PM
You can't "win" an argument with a toddler or a teenager. Upon meltdown, out we'd go. I think it's disrespectful to others to ignore your shrieking child, ESP. In a restaurant.
CoeyG
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I never argued and I never negotiatied, we just left where were were, straight out to the car.  Someimes we went home and I'd handed her to her father or I'd go to the neighbor's and leave her there, reminding her that until she could improve her behavior she will no longer go out with me. 

Pandora167
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I don't know. I think some of them just assume that when a child acts that way  in public, she must not be a good mom and hasn't taught them to behave well.  I think its assinine.

rosebud727
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Because the child learns his behavior skills from how you discipline and what consequences follow if he/she doesn't act a certain way. It's really pretty simple.

If you allow your child to act poorly in public your basically saying that everyone else has to put up with that unacceptable behavior too.  That is pretty dang rude of the mom/dad in my opinion.

If I'm eating out and some child is screaming I appreciate it if the parents take the child outside the restaurant or home. Same goes for shopping, if I'm trying to shop, I don't want some child racing around, peeking under dressing room walls etc. It's just not what I expect while I'm out is all.

I didn't let my girls do that when they were little.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)