Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Park Bench The Park Bench

Why do people always blame the mother?

Posted by   + Show Post

When the young child is having a tanrum in public or is "acting bratty"? Why do they glare at the mother and assume it's her fault the child acts this way or like what she does will magicially stop the child? Don't they remember anything about being a mother? It's usually older women and men who do this but also young parents too.

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:56 PM
Replies (21-27):
CoeyG
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Quoting sakpoints:

Kids will be kids and I try not to pass judgement just because a child is having a melt down, but I do appreciate when the parents take the child outside.  Luckily DD never really threw tantrums but I always left the store or restaurant if she cried as an infant.

Yes kids will be kids, that is why parents need to teach disicpline to their children not expect them to be born with it

sexysiren1983
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I agree...calling a stranger's child mean names like that is a little uncalled for and kinda sick...and I love (sarcasm) how pppl assume I'm talking about myself...I could be talking about my own observations of friends/familiy even strangers.

Quoting ambitious_MOM:

Well my baby is 2 and she's currently learning that type of behavior is not going to be excepted but for you to call them monsters is not cool you can give your opinion without calling peoples kids names.....

Quoting AleaKat:

Who says somebody taught it to me?
It's my honest opinion. I'm sick of hearing people bitch about their kids. You make them who they are, they learn from you.
My kids aren't perfect but they know how to act in public.
Quoting ambitious_MOM:

That's not true for all children who taught you that crock of shit??

Quoting AleaKat:

Cause your kids should know how to act in public to begin with.

You created that little monster.

CoeyG
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Quoting sexysiren1983:

I agree...calling a stranger's child mean names like that is a little uncalled for and kinda sick...and I love (sarcasm) how pppl assume I'm talking about myself...I could be talking about my own observations of friends/familiy even strangers.

Quoting ambitious_MOM:

Well my baby is 2 and she's currently learning that type of behavior is not going to be excepted but for you to call them monsters is not cool you can give your opinion without calling peoples kids names.....

Quoting AleaKat:

Who says somebody taught it to me?
It's my honest opinion. I'm sick of hearing people bitch about their kids. You make them who they are, they learn from you.
My kids aren't perfect but they know how to act in public.
Quoting ambitious_MOM:

That's not true for all children who taught you that crock of shit??

Quoting AleaKat:

Cause your kids should know how to act in public to begin with.

You created that little monster.

If the brat is going to behave like a monster then that's what I'm going to call the little monster.  If a parent doesn't teach the child better behavior then the parent is enabling the monster behavior.  So if you're not teaching discipline, you're enabling and creating it.

erikadi
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Unfortunately people judge people especially other parents. The mother is an easy target. We are also too hard on ourselves and make ourselves feel guilty. 

happinessforyou
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Normally, mom's catch the dirty looks because moms are the ones taking the kids out usually?

I would like to think that I did not shoot anyone a nasty look when they were actively trying to "parent" their children. But I am honest enough to say that I SMH at the parents out with their kids: ignoring them, talking on their phones/ipads while the poor child is having a huge meltdown.

So for me-it is how you handle your child's meltdown, not if your kids have one or not! lol

twistandshout
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Really is is usally the people who do not have children them selfs. Hugs it is not always in moms control to have a child stop crying.

SoInLove515
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I hear ya! I had a Dr's appointment the other day and had to bring my 2 year old with me. My appointment was at 10 and we were in the waiting room until 12:30. He was pretty good until 12 came around. This girl ( she looked like she was 18 or 19) Rolled her eyes at me because my son was crying. Thankfully there was another Mommy in there who let my son play with her kindle. He calmed right down. I assume the girl had no kids. But she was pregnant. So she SHALL see. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN